Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MZB MZB is offline

Default Reading Office 07 files

I sometimes get files from work that are .docx files.

I can read them at work because we use Office 2007.

At home I have WORD '97 and I'm not aware of any patch that will allow me to
read such a file.

Is there some other way to view this program??

Perhaps some kind of viewer??

Mel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Steve Hayes Steve Hayes is offline

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:28:02 -0500, "MZB" wrote:

I sometimes get files from work that are .docx files.

I can read them at work because we use Office 2007.

At home I have WORD '97 and I'm not aware of any patch that will allow me to
read such a file.

Is there some other way to view this program??

Perhaps some kind of viewer??

Have you tried Open Office?

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Ferguson[_3_] Tom Ferguson[_3_] is offline

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...444731033.aspx

Other converters:

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"MZB" wrote in message
I sometimes get files from work that are .docx files.

I can read them at work because we use Office 2007.

At home I have WORD '97 and I'm not aware of any patch that will allow me
to read such a file.

Is there some other way to view this program??

Perhaps some kind of viewer??

Mel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

Unfortunately, the Word 2007 converters that Microsoft provide for previous
versions only work from Word 2000 to Word 2003 and are incompatible with
previous versions. The only option if you want to edit them is to save the
work documents as .doc compatible files.

However, you can download a free Word Viewer from Microsoft that is
compatible with Word 2007. The only problem you may encounter is that there
MAY be a problem in that installing the viewer makes it the default
application in Windows so that when you try opening your Word documents from
Explorer, it opens the Viewer rather than Word.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"MZB" wrote in message
I sometimes get files from work that are .docx files.

I can read them at work because we use Office 2007.

At home I have WORD '97 and I'm not aware of any patch that will allow me
to read such a file.

Is there some other way to view this program??

Perhaps some kind of viewer??

Mel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"Steve Hayes" wrote in message
news
Have you tried Open Office?

Unfortunately that won't read docx files yet.....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"Tom Ferguson" wrote in message
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...444731033.aspx

unfortunately that only mentiones Office 2000 - will it work with 97 that
the OP has?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Mel,

What version of Windows are you using at home? The MS Office 2007 compatibility converters for older Office versions require Office
2000 or higher, but the MS Word viewer that Terry mentioned will support the compatibility pack that will open Office 2007 files,
provided you're running on Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 or higher.
http://microsoft.com/downloads/detai...c-f4f827f20cac

================
"MZB" wrote in message ...

I sometimes get files from work that are .docx files.

I can read them at work because we use Office 2007.

At home I have WORD '97 and I'm not aware of any patch that will allow me to
read such a file.

Is there some other way to view this program??

Perhaps some kind of viewer??

Mel
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)