Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
degas1900 degas1900 is offline

Default Overstrike - X in a box

Someone has sent me a Word form with boxes in which to check or put an X.
I've tried to follow the instructions at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm, but they don't help in this
situation when someone else has created the document and all I want to do is
put an X in a box. Is there a simple way to do this, similar to
WordPerfect's Format|Typesetting|Overstrike? I'm using Word 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Dec 27, 12:30*pm, degas1900
wrote:
Someone has sent me a Word form with boxes in which to check or put an X. *
I've tried to follow the instructions athttp://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm, but they don't help in this
situation when someone else has created the document and all I want to do is
put an X in a box. *Is there a simple way to do this, similar to
WordPerfect's Format|Typesetting|Overstrike? *I'm using Word 2003.

"Overstrike" is buried in Insert Fields Equations, but that would
seem like overkill.

Maybe the boxes are characters in Wingdings or some such, and you can
replace them with filled boxes from the same symbol font.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
degas1900 degas1900 is offline

I know where Overstrike is buried, but my question is: How do you put an X
in a pre-existing box?

"grammatim" wrote:

On Dec 27, 12:30 pm, degas1900
wrote:
Someone has sent me a Word form with boxes in which to check or put an X.
I've tried to follow the instructions athttp://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm, but they don't help in this
situation when someone else has created the document and all I want to do is
put an X in a box. Is there a simple way to do this, similar to
WordPerfect's Format|Typesetting|Overstrike? I'm using Word 2003.

"Overstrike" is buried in Insert Fields Equations, but that would
seem like overkill.

Maybe the boxes are characters in Wingdings or some such, and you can
replace them with filled boxes from the same symbol font.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Assuming the document was created as a protected form, you should be able to
check the box by clicking with the mouse or tabbing to it and pressing the
spacebar. If the form has not been protected, then the person who created it
didn't know what he was doing. In this case, you can either protect the form
(if it's designed to be used that way) or, if the rest of the document
contains no form fields, you *can* check the box by double-clicking on it
and choosing "Checked" instead of "Not checked" in the Form Field Options
dialog.

If the box is just a Wingdings character, then the expectation was probably
that you would print out the form and fill it in by hand. If you insist on
doing it on the computer, you'll need to substitute another Wingdings
character for a checked box.

It's possible that the person who created the form based it on one of the
fax cover sheets that ship with Word, which include macros and AutoText
entries for checked and unchecked boxes (you can double-click to switch from
one to the other); unfortunately, these don't travel well because, while the
macros can be saved in the document, AutoText entries can be saved only in a
template.

"degas1900" wrote in message
Someone has sent me a Word form with boxes in which to check or put an X.
I've tried to follow the instructions at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm, but they don't help in
this
situation when someone else has created the document and all I want to do
is
put an X in a box. Is there a simple way to do this, similar to
WordPerfect's Format|Typesetting|Overstrike? I'm using Word 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
degas1900 degas1900 is offline

Thanks. Double-clicking on the box then choosing "checked" as the default in
the pop-up box worked.

"degas1900" wrote in message
Someone has sent me a Word form with boxes in which to check or put an X.
I've tried to follow the instructions at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm, but they don't help in
this
situation when someone else has created the document and all I want to do
is
put an X in a box. Is there a simple way to do this, similar to
WordPerfect's Format|Typesetting|Overstrike? I'm using Word 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Henk57[_165_] Henk57[_165_] is offline

'grammatim[_2_ Wrote:
;2547311']On Dec 27, 12:30 pm, degas1900

wrote:-
Someone has sent me a Word form with boxes in which to check or put an
X.
I've tried to follow the instructions
athttp://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm, but they don't help
in this
situation when someone else has created the document and all I want to
do is
put an X in a box. Is there a simple way to do this, similar to
WordPerfect's Format|Typesetting|Overstrike? I'm using Word 2003.-

"Overstrike" is buried in Insert Fields Equations, but that would
seem like overkill.

Maybe the boxes are characters in Wingdings or some such, and you can
replace them with filled boxes from the same symbol font.

Do you mean an x in a squared frame? For this you can select the x,
and apply Format / Borders and Shading/(Borders) - click "box".

--
Henk57
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

wrote:-
Someone has sent me a Word form with boxes in which to check or put an
X. *
I've tried to follow the instructions
athttp://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm, but they don't help
in this
situation when someone else has created the document and all I want to
do is
put an X in a box. *Is there a simple way to do this, similar to
WordPerfect's Format|Typesetting|Overstrike? *I'm using Word 2003.-

"Overstrike" is buried in Insert *Fields *Equations, but that would
seem like overkill.

Maybe the boxes are characters in Wingdings or some such, and you can
replace them with filled boxes from the same symbol font.

Do you mean an x in a squared frame? *For this you can select the x,
and apply Format / Borders and Shading/(Borders) - click "box".

I was thinking more of "Use a No. 2 pencil and be sure to fill in the
entire box."

Overstrike Characters Patrick Hunt Microsoft Word Help 2 December 15th 06 05:16 PM
Overstrike not working Suzanne S. Barnhill Page Layout 2 August 12th 05 04:16 AM
WordPerfect Overstrike Equivalent Nigel Greensitt Microsoft Word Help 5 March 18th 05 04:48 PM
overstrike cursor carmstrng New Users 1 February 17th 05 06:22 PM
Overstrike characters Sue T. Microsoft Word Help 1 January 10th 05 09:46 PM