Preserve Formatting of TOC

Old January 26th 05, 03:34 PM
Stefan Blom

I see now that my previous messages might not have been so clear, so
I'll just try to summarize everything I wanted to say here...

At least with Word 2000 and later, you can certainly change the format
of a table of contents, by modifying the TOC styles, even if the TOC
was created with a built-in format (such as "Classic") and the new
format will be preserved after updating the TOC.

Also, Word allows for multiple tables of contents, but only for one
TOC format: If you create an additional table of contents and pick a
built-in format, the format of existing TOCs will also change (since
they all use the same TOC styles).

--
Stefan Blom

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
That is my experience, too, at least with Word 2000. I tried to say
this in the first paragraph of my previous message.

--
Stefan Blom

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Not having tried this, I'm not sure exactly what you're saying.

The
question
is whether you can apply, say, the Classic TOC option and modify

its
TOC
styles such that they will not be reset to the Classic default

when
the TOC
is updated.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Well, you can certainly modify the format of the TOC styles

*after*
you've created a table of contents, even if it initially had a
built-in format -- and these modifications will be retained when

you
update the TOC field.

However, if you explicitly chose a different format than "From
template" upon TOC creation, this format will replace the

settings
for
the TOC styles of the document. (Of course, it won't overwrite

the
TOC
styles of the attached template.) This is also what I would

expect.

To reproduce (tested in Word 2000):

1. Create a template. Modify the TOC 1 style to have a Tahoma

font.
Save the template.

2. Create a new document from that template. Type some text

formatted
with the Heading 1 style.

3. Create a TOC via InsertIndex and TablesTable of Contents

tab.
Choose a different format than "From template". Word presents a

TOC in
the specified format. Selecting the TOC and pressing CTRL+Q does

not
restore the font of the TOC 1 style, which proves that it has

indeed
been modified.

--
Stefan Blom

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Either this was never true or it is no longer true. I heard it

from
John
McGhie and took it as gospel, but the Microsoft User

Assistance
people who
wrote the tutorials on TOCs in Word 2003 said it was not true.
Perhaps just
an old wives' tale or someone's misinterpretation of a bad
experience? I
don't know, as I haven't tested it--just stick with "From

template."

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Another aspect is that you have to choose the "From

template"
format
when you create a table of contents via the Index and Tables
dialog
box. Otherwise, the TOC styles of the document will be

changed
by
Word
according to the particular format selected.

--
Stefan Blom

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Moreover, as Stefan has pointed out, changes to the styles
affect
only the
current document unless you check the "Add to template"

box
in
the
Modify
Style dialog. When modifications are saved to the

template,
they
will be
available in new documents.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Hi Ted,

To understand the "why", you have to know that the

entire
table of
contents
is just one field. (Right-click in it and select Toggle

Field
Codes to see
that this is true, then repeat to get back the usual

display.)
As
soon as
you update the field, any direct formatting you've

applied
the
TOC is
thrown away. The only permanent formatting comes from

the
styles
TOC1,
etc.
that Word automatically applies based on the levels of

the
headings and/or
TC fields.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Stefan Blom wrote:
Modify the "TOC 1", "TOC 2" etc. styles to suit your

needs;
you
can do
this via the Index and Tables dialog box. Make sure

that
you
select
the "Add to template" check box for each modified

style.

"Ted" wrote in message

Would someone tell me how & possibly why I cannot get

Word
2003
preserve the Format of a Table of Contents? I have

it
configured
with spacing, Font sizes, tab leaders & all. However

when
you
create a New Document it gets lost.
thx,