Shah of BSTS

Default How to use WORD2003:Tools>Options>Save-> Make local copy of files.

I use an external drive to keep a copy of all my files on my laptop and on
the external drive. At the moment I am doing this manually.
I noticed an option under Tools Options Save to toggle on
"Make local copy of files saved to network or external drives"
But it does not seem to do anything and there is no online or offline help
for this.
I would be grateful for advise on how to turn this functionality on and
where the lcal copy is kept.

Regards,
Shah