Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aurora Aurora is offline

Default Changing the Page Number

I am using Word 2003.

I have a very long document - 85 pages long.
I also have several attachments (From other programs) that go along with it,
but are not attached to the Word document. On my table of contents, I want
to list the attachments with their page numbers. After the last page of my
document, I created a blank page with the name of the 1st attachment (which
is 32 pages long)- so that the beginning page number would show up on the
TofC. Then I added another blank page with the name of the 2nd attachment
and tried to change the page number on this page to 115, So that the table of
contents would show that the 2nd attachment started on page 115. I went into
insert page numbers ? format and check the box that said "start at" and put
in page 115. But the document show page #186. What am I doing wrong? Can
anyone help me, please.
Aurora
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You didn't insert section breaks between the "attachment" pages. When you
set the starting number, you restarted numbering for the entire document.
You'll need to insert a section break after each one of your attachment
pages and restart the numbering in each of those sections as needed. But
unless the page numbers are actually printed on the pages of the
attachments, this is probably a waste of time; it might be better just to
have a single page with the titles of all the attachments, to be listed in
the TOC without page numbers.

If you want to use this approach, you'll need to use a different heading
style for the titles of the attachments (it can be formatted the same as the
heading style used for the main sections of the document). For example, if
you used Headings 1-3 in the main document, use Heading 4 (formatted the
same as Heading 1) for the attachments. Then, in the TOC, format TOC 4 to
look the same as TOC 1. Your TOC field will need this switch: \n 4-4; for
more on this, see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm