Feather 52

Default Continuous numbering in long document, mine keeps starting over

Have 87 page document. Numbering starts over in several sections. I want it
to number continuously from beginning to end.
Richard Neville

You could delete the section breaks, or in each section use the Bullets and
Numbering menu. Click on Customize, and you will find a box named "Start
at." Set it to the number with which each section should begin (but if you
change the pagination anywhere, you will have to reset all these).

If you are using section breaks only to start a new page (e.g. for a
chapter), you can accomplish the same by formatting the first line of the
new page with the Paragraph menu command "Page break before." Then you won't
need section breaks.

"Feather 52" wrote in message
Have 87 page document. Numbering starts over in several sections. I want
it
to number continuously from beginning to end.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PiratesMate PiratesMate is offline

Default Continuous numbering in long document, mine keeps starting ove

Richard,
You lost me there.
What if I am using a MS word legal template that already has the lines
numbered but starts all over again on each page? I do not know where to go
to look for section breaks to change or delete section breaks. Where do I go
to delete section breaks?

"Feather 52" wrote in message
Have 87 page document. Numbering starts over in several sections. I want
it
to number continuously from beginning to end.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PiratesMate PiratesMate is offline

Suzanne,
I understand how to do that but it does not work in a MS Word template. You
cannot change the line numbering only if you create the line numbering.
But, thank you Suzanne for your help.
I think I'll have to just use what I have and I think each line on each page
starts at 1 for all legal pleadings. I looked at some of my old divorce
papers and noticed that each first line on a pleading starts at 1. So
perhaps this is how it is done.
Thank you for all your help.

"Feather 52" wrote in message
Have 87 page document. Numbering starts over in several sections. I

want
it
to number continuously from beginning to end.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you are using the Pleading Wizard or some other template that has the
same kind of line numbering, then it is not created using Word's Line
Numbering feature but rather with numbers in a text box anchored to the
header, which of course repeats (identically) on each page. There is no way
to change that, and, as you have observed, this is standard practice for
legal documents.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

File | Page Setup | Layout: Line Numbers: Continuous.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.