Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Bob S

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 00:39:03 -0800, "Dan Corban"
wrote:

I have a table with two columns. The first column has names of items, each
item in its own row. I indent the items (using styles) if they are related to
the item directly above it. I want to sort this table, keeping the indented
item below the related item. I can't figure out how to do this. The indented
items just get sorted normally and end up separated from the related name.

An example of my table before sorting:
Lamp
Book
Moby Dick
Desk

When I sort, it looks like this:
Book
Desk
Lamp
Moby Dick

I want it to end up looking like this:
Book
Moby Dick
Desk
Lamp

Any idea how I can accomplish this (other than manually sorting)?

You might try the following (untested) process.

Copy the table to an empty document; this is for safety and for
non-interference.

Convert the table to text.

Assign the non-indented style an outline level of 1.

Assign the indented style an outline level of 2.

Go into Outline View. Set it to show level 1. Sort.

Copy the results back to the real document. The styles ought to pick
up the definition from the original document, and lose the outline
levels. For paranoia, consider removing the levels from the style
definitions before copying the data back.

Convert back to table.

Bob S