Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Becka831 Becka831 is offline

Default footer style applying itself in document and numbering

In many of the legal documents that I generate, our office name and address
are on the lefthand margin at the top of the first page; in others, the name
of the state is on the left side, the name of the county is flush on the
right side, and then a double space down to another line of text that's
formatted the same (left margin, and flush right margin). (I generally work
only in "normal" style.) At least half of the time, the first line of the
text, after I have added the second line of text, switches to the "footer"
style. The second and subsequent lines stay "normal."

The other problem I have is that when I use automatic numbering (and I have
to redefine the levels to include a word in front of the number), after I
finish typing the paragraph which contains the auto number command, switches
from normal to "footer." If I try to switch it back to normal, the number
command is deleted and all I have is a paragraph of text.

I have tried drafting new documents from a blank document, rather than using
an old document as a form, but it doesn't make any different. It doesn't
happen every time, just most of them. Is it possible that in the case of the
numbering, all the default numbering has gotten a "footer" style command
embedded in it? (This also happens even when I reset the number style and
then customize it.) What else is going on?

--
/becka
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The default style in a new footer is the Footer style. You would be well
advised to use it.

If you don't want to lose numbering when pressing Enter, try using
Shift+Enter to insert a line break for the blank line. Better still, instead
of using an empty paragraph, use Space Before/After. You can apply 12 points
Space Before (the rough equivalent of a blank line) using Ctrl+0. It is
always preferable to use styles linked to numbering formats rather than
applying numbering to the Normal style.

If you're seeing Footer style in the document body, it's probably because
you still have "Define styles based on my formatting" checked on the
AutoFormat As You Type tab of Tools | AutoCorrect Options.