GregBausman

Default Pleadings - Line Numbering aligning with text

Using Word XP. I'm having a hard time getting the text to align properly with
line numbers on a legal pleading. The way line numbering works, the line
spacing of the text needs to be set to exactly 12pt or exactly 24pt (for a
double-spaced look). The nature of Word when using exactly 24pt line spacing
is that the blank space comes first with the text underneath. As a result,
the line numbering will not align with the text beginning on page 2 because
the line numbering will align with the blank space. The only resolution I
could figure out was to make sure that the top line of every page was set to
exactly 12pt. Press hard return again at the end of that line and make the
following paragraph exactly 24pt. Is there a better way? Is there a way to
redefine exactly 24pt to put the space under the text?
Any help you can provide would be most appreciated! Thanks,
Greg

No -- because sometimes one has to single space in pleadings; the line
numbers are set for double-space. So the pleading paper numbers have
to be a graphic inserted into the header.

*(((({

In the last exciting episode on Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:49:21 -0600,
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

|There's a Compatibility Option that affects this, but wouldn't it be simpler
|to just set the same spacing for the line numbering?

Which means that the line numbers aren't really line numbers. But what I was
suggesting was that the numbers anchored to the header (which are not really
a graphic, just a text box containing numbers) should have the same line
spacing as the document. That is, if the body text is 12-point TNR,
double-spaced, then the "line numbers" should be the same; a different font
or font size will make a difference, as will a difference in Exact line
spacing.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

|There's a Compatibility Option that affects this, but wouldn't it be

simpler
|to just set the same spacing for the line numbering?

align text center and right on the same line Annette Frank Microsoft Word Help 9 May 5th 23 08:49 AM
Bullets/numbers will not indent after first line Greg Microsoft Word Help 2 August 9th 05 12:43 AM
Justifed text in Numbered lists, last line of parapgraph spacing m ITILMan Microsoft Word Help 4 February 6th 05 05:57 PM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 03:49 PM
numbering in text box Cath Microsoft Word Help 2 November 24th 04 04:15 PM