Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
julied julied is offline

Default Issue with starting page numbering at 1

Word 2016(o365)

Started a new document want to use odd/even footers for document.

1st page - Title page - page break -
2nd page - ODD PAGE - with page numbering starting at 1 - page break -
3rd page - EVEN PAGE - with page numbering starting at 2 etc ...

No matter what I do, I can not get the 2nd page to be page "1" - it always go to "3".

Any ideas?

Thanks
Julie
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Go into Format Page Number and tell it to start numbering pages with 0.

However, it is essentially WRONG to have an odd-numbered page on the left,
so it should be difficult, hopefully impossible, to do what you want.

On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 1:24:39 AM UTC-4, julied wrote:
Word 2016(o365)

Started a new document want to use odd/even footers for document.

1st page - Title page - page break -
2nd page - ODD PAGE - with page numbering starting at 1 - page break -
3rd page - EVEN PAGE - with page numbering starting at 2 etc ...

No matter what I do, I can not get the 2nd page to be page "1" - it always go to "3".

Any ideas?

Thanks
Julie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 9:31:07 PM UTC-4, Charles K. Kenyon wrote:
Peter T. Daniels;497213 Wrote:

Go into Format Page Number and tell it to start numbering pages with 0.

However, it is essentially WRONG to have an odd-numbered page on the
left,
so it should be difficult, hopefully impossible, to do what you want.
***

Peter,

If she follows Suzanne's instructions (linked my previous response) she
would begin a new section when she wants to [re]start the numbering,
which can use an odd-page section break. That would leave the cover page
and then a blank for two-sided printing, then page 1 on the right.

Did you try it and see whether Word will allow you to violate a tradition that
is as old as numbering the folios of a codex?

What it's hard, but not impossible, to do is to get Word to show a blank page
before page 1 for when you do a reduced on-screen display, so that you can
check whether page openings look acceptable. (Word isn't for laying out books,
but sometimes it's all that's available.)