Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

Default Table of Contents, 3rd level is Bold for only the # only

On Word 2007, when I issue command to create or update table of contents, the
third level, which is (A), (B) (C)... the abc is bolded, but the description
title is not. I can't get rid of the abc bolding. Note that in the text the
entire title is bolded, which is fine, but I don't want all the table to be
in unbolded text, except for this abc. I tried doing it manaually, but have
had no luck.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Is the TOC 3 style bold?

Did you apply bold formatting to the third level of the multilevel list?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"bretsharon" wrote in message
news
On Word 2007, when I issue command to create or update table of contents,
the
third level, which is (A), (B) (C)... the abc is bolded, but the
description
title is not. I can't get rid of the abc bolding. Note that in the text
the
entire title is bolded, which is fine, but I don't want all the table to
be
in unbolded text, except for this abc. I tried doing it manaually, but
have
had no luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

No, TOC 3 is not bold, nor are any of the TOCs, but thanks, I had not found
that so far in 2007. And yes, the multlevel is bold in the document, both
the "(A)" section numbering and the title heading. Its just that when it
gets taken to the TOC, the "(A)" is bolded but the titled heading is not. I
tried to do change the bolded letters manually in the TOC, but nothing
changed, despite the fact that the Bolded indicator on the ribbon said I was
changing something. I also highlighted several lines of the TOC and entered
control+b, and the text dutifully bolded and unbolded, but not the letter.

thanks.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Is the TOC 3 style bold?

Did you apply bold formatting to the third level of the multilevel list?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"bretsharon" wrote in message
news
On Word 2007, when I issue command to create or update table of contents,
the
third level, which is (A), (B) (C)... the abc is bolded, but the
description
title is not. I can't get rid of the abc bolding. Note that in the text
the
entire title is bolded, which is fine, but I don't want all the table to
be
in unbolded text, except for this abc. I tried doing it manaually, but
have
had no luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

Interestingly, the problem remains when I select different styles or themes I
guess you would call it. I avoid making any changes in these styles.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

But how did you apply the bold formatting? As direct formatting (by directly
formatting the heading text) or by adding it to the style? Note that direct
formatting will be reflected in the TOC.

Also, did you change the font settings for the numbered list (in the Define
New Multilevel List dialog box, there is a Font button)?

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

But how did you apply the bold formatting?

FIRST, MY SETTINGS MIGRATED FROM WORD 2003, AND I DO NOT REMEMBER HAVING
THIS PROBLEM. THIS BOLDED HEADING #3 WAS BOLDEN BY PLACING THE CURSER ON THE
RIBBON STYLE BOX AND LEFT CLICK TO MODIFY, AND THE BOLDED BOX IS HIGHLIGHTED,
AS I INSTRUCTED. I USE THE 2ND TABLE OF CONTENTS PRE SET BY THE PROGRAM, ON
THE REFERENCE/TABLE OF CONTENTS DROP DOWN

As direct formatting (by directly formatting the heading text) or by adding
it to the style? Note that direct formatting will be reflected in the TOC.

NO IT WAS NOT DIRECTLY FORMATTED. I CHECKED ALSO BY HIGHLIGHTING THE (A)
AND THE BOLD BOX ON THE RIBBON WAS NOT HIGHLIGHTED. PLACING THE CURSER
DIRECTLY ON THE HEADING 3 TEXT, I NOTED THERE WAS NO BOX. THE BOLD INDICATOR
WAS ON.

ON THE TOC, THE HEADING TEXT WAS NOT BOLDED BUT THE (A) IS

Also, did you change the font settings for the numbered list (in the Define
New Multilevel List dialog box, there is a Font button)?

IN CHECKING THE NEW MULTLEVEL LIST DIALOG, THE FONT WAS BOLDED. WHEN I
CHANGE THE A TO REGULAR NOT BOLDED, AND UPDATE THE TOC, THEN THE REFERENCE
WAS NOT BOLDED. HOWEVER, IN THE TEXT OF THE TITLE IN THE BODY OF THE
DOCUMENT, THE (A) WAS NOT BOLDED, ALTHOUGH THE TEXT WAS.

THANK YOU.
--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Is the TOC 3 style bold?

Did you apply bold formatting to the third level of the multilevel list?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"bretsharon" wrote in message
news On Word 2007, when I issue command to create or update table of
contents,
the
third level, which is (A), (B) (C)... the abc is bolded, but the
description
title is not. I can't get rid of the abc bolding. Note that in the
text
the
entire title is bolded, which is fine, but I don't want all the table
be
in unbolded text, except for this abc. I tried doing it manaually, but
have
had no luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[...]

I suspect you'd better treat the document as damaged. Delete the TOC and
save the document. Create a new document, set up the numbering correctly,
then copy the original document except for the final paragraph mark (Ctrl+A,
Shift+Left arrow, Ctrl+C) and paste into the new document (Ctrl+V). Click
the Paste Options button and choose to "Match Destination Formatting."
Insert a TOC again. Does that fix the issues?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

THANK YOU.
--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

But how did you apply the bold formatting? ------------Through the Style
Tablature on the ribbon, I went to Change Style, then to my style selection.
The styles appeared just to the left of the style change box on the ribbon.
I then highlited the 3rd heading and right clicked to Modify. Then panel
opened up and I slected the bold button. I also clicked on font button and
it too was bold.

I went to the multi level list as well, and the heading 3 the "A" was also
bolded as well, and the font indicated bolded too. When I removed the
bolding, the entire line was not bolded on the toc.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

Well, I did all this, but the problem remains. The "(A)" remains bolded on
the TOC while the title isn't

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

I'm glad you got it sorted.

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I'm not sure if it's relevant here, but in most numbered lists, the number
will be bold, even if the rest of the paragraph isn't, if the paragraph mark
is formatted as bold. To correct the problem, you need to display
nonprinting characters, select just the paragraph mark, and remove the
bolding. In this case, I would imagine that the problem is in the heading
itself rather than the TOC entry. If it is in the TOC, then selecting the
entire TOC and pressing Ctrl+Spacebar should fix it.

"bretsharon" wrote in message
Well, I did all this, but the problem remains. The "(A)" remains bolded

on
the TOC while the title isn't

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

I'm glad you got it sorted.

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Sorry, I misunderstand your previous post.

See Suzanne's reply.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"bretsharon" wrote in message
Well, I did all this, but the problem remains. The "(A)" remains bolded
on
the TOC while the title isn't

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

I'm glad you got it sorted.