Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Bert[_3_] Bert[_3_] is offline

Default combining data sources

I have a multicolumn table (using MSWord 2003). In the first column of each
row, there is a number. I'd like to use this number to "lookup" the same
value in an Excel spreadsheet (which has two columns of data: column
1-numbers; column 2-names). I'd like to insert the corresponding name in
the Word table (in the column to the right of number column) Is this
possible with mailmerge? Should I be doing it with a macro instead? (I'd
do the whole thing in Excel, but I need the text-formatting capabilities of
Word.)
Thanks for any suggestions.
Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com is offline

The easiest thing is probably to do the combining in Excel (using a lookup
function) and then copy and paste it back into Word for the formatting.

For a macro based alternative, see the article "Access a database and insert
into a Word document the data that you find there" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/InterD...DataFromDB.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Bert" wrote in message
I have a multicolumn table (using MSWord 2003). In the first column of
each row, there is a number. I'd like to use this number to "lookup" the
same value in an Excel spreadsheet (which has two columns of data: column
1-numbers; column 2-names). I'd like to insert the corresponding name in
the Word table (in the column to the right of number column) Is this
possible with mailmerge? Should I be doing it with a macro instead?
(I'd do the whole thing in Excel, but I need the text-formatting
capabilities of Word.)
Thanks for any suggestions.
Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Bert[_3_] Bert[_3_] is offline

Thanks, Doug.
If I decide to go the VBA route, this will get me started.

"Bert" wrote in message
I have a multicolumn table (using MSWord 2003). In the first column of
each row, there is a number. I'd like to use this number to "lookup" the
same value in an Excel spreadsheet (which has two columns of data: column
1-numbers; column 2-names). I'd like to insert the corresponding name in
the Word table (in the column to the right of number column) Is this
possible with mailmerge? Should I be doing it with a macro instead? (I'd
do the whole thing in Excel, but I need the text-formatting capabilities
of Word.)
Thanks for any suggestions.
Bert

Merging from 3 data sources JEverhart Mailmerge 1 August 21st 08 08:22 PM
My Data Sources Inobugs Microsoft Word Help 0 August 7th 07 12:24 AM
data sources Alex New Users 2 September 21st 06 06:24 AM
merging 2 data sources pumpkin4455 Mailmerge 2 April 27th 06 04:17 PM
multiple data sources and data form Chico Mailmerge 1 October 5th 05 04:56 AM