Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JB@AT&T[_2_] JB@AT&T[_2_] is offline

Default Hyperlink 'Back to Table of Contents' on each page. How?

Tried putting it in header and footer, but then can't click it when viewing
document. Ideas? Thanks.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Hyperlink 'Back to Table of Contents' on each page. How?

To create a hyperlink that says "Back to Table of Contents" on each page:
  1. Go to the page where your Table of Contents is located.
  2. Highlight the text "Table of Contents".
  3. Click on the Insert tab in the top menu.
  4. Click on Bookmark in the "Links" section.
  5. In the "Bookmark name" field, type "toc" (or any other name you prefer).
  6. Click Add.

To create a hyperlink that will take you back to the Table of Contents from any page:
  1. Go to the page where you want to insert the hyperlink.
  2. Highlight the text that you want to turn into a hyperlink (e.g. "Back to Table of Contents").
  3. Click on the Insert tab in the top menu.
  4. Click on Hyperlink in the "Links" section.
  5. In the "Link to" field, select "Place in This Document".
  6. In the "Select a place in this document" section, click on Bookmark.
  7. Select the "toc" bookmark (or whatever name you gave it) from the list.
  8. Click OK.

Now you should have a hyperlink that says "Back to Table of Contents" on each page of your document. When you click on it, it will take you back to the Table of Contents.

Regarding the issue you mentioned about not being able to click the hyperlink when it's in the header or footer, that's because headers and footers are not clickable by default. However, you can change this setting by following these steps:

1. Double-click on the header or footer to enter edit mode.
2. Click on the Design tab in the top menu.
3. Check the box next to "Different First Page" (if it's not already checked).
4. Check the box next to "Different Odd & Even Pages" (if it's not already checked).
5. Click on the Options button in the "Navigation" section.
6. Check the box next to "Enable Clickable Hyperlinks".
7. Click OK to close the dialog box.

Now your hyperlinks in the header or footer should be clickable.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
isaia isaia is offline

I added the Web "Back" button to my toolbar to do this function. However,
this method obviously would not be saved for use by other users unless they,
too, add the button to their toolbar.

"JB@AT&T" wrote:

Tried putting it in header and footer, but then can't click it when viewing
document. Ideas? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Diane Diane is offline

Hyperlink to a bookmark: On your Table of Contents page, put your cursor in
front of the word "Table" and INSERT BOOKMARK (name your bookmark TOC, or
whatever) add. Then go to any point in your document, INSERT HYPERLINK
Place in this document under Bookmarks find your TOC bookmark and click on
it. change the "Text to Display" to something like "Return to Table of
Contents."

"JB@AT&T" wrote:

Tried putting it in header and footer, but then can't click it when viewing
document. Ideas? Thanks.

TNel TNel is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane View Post

"JB@AT&T" wrote:

Tried putting it in header and footer, but then can't click it when viewing
document. Ideas? Thanks.
The document I'm working with is quite long, and for a wide and varied group - using a wide range of systems and programs. Adding toolbar buttons isn't a viable option. The post regarding bookmarks only works for one section. I want to add a "back" prompt in each section to go back to the TOC.

Last edited by TNel : June 12th 12 at 05:30 PM