Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
mean mom mean mom is offline

Default saving document to a CD for multiple distribution?

I have compiled a family history book, had it printed and bound back in about
1987 - it is now needing updates. I am in the process of beginning to
gather information for an update. I got to thinking, is there a
"user-friendly" program (I am not real computer savy) that I could use to
enter my information and then save it to a CD that could be "protected" from
changes and then make available for distribution at a family reunion or
otherwise? - I will need to be able to have a chart for recording family
data (birth, death, marriage, dates, etc.) and then a format for typing
family stories, and also for adding photos. I've thought of WORD - I use
Word alot but oh there is so much yet I do not know about Word. But I know
you can insert photos in Word, you can insert tables (charts) in Word....I
have Professional Microsoft Office Suite on my computer so I have Access,
Excell, Publisher available - just don't know much, if any, about how to use
them...but would be willing to try to learn if one of those programs would
work better than WORD....just wondering. Thanks for any input!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
mean mom mean mom is offline

Powerpoint? um... and then it can be saved (as a pernmament copy) to be
distributed to others - and then anyone obtaining the CD or DVD would have to
have power point on their computer - and how common is power point on most
home computers? I know I didn't have it for a long time - I have it now,
but do not know how to create anything - yet anyway....

thanks so much for taking time to reply.... gives me another angle to think
on...that is what I needed to know - what avenues I have available, if any,
and if my idea is even a practical idea?

"mean mom" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Regardless of how you create it (and I personally would do it in Word
because I know Word best, but Publisher would work just as well for those
who use it with more confidence), what you want to do when you finish it is
convert it to PDF. You can then put that on a CD and anyone with Adobe
Reader (which is essentially anyone with a computer) can read and print it.
It is "protected" in the sense that it will retain your formatting and can't
(easily) be tampered with, though it is possible to copy text and images
from most PDFs unless they are created with specific protections against
this.

There are many free or inexpensive applications available that can create
PDFs. Naturally, you get what you pay for, and if you want higher-end
features (including protection, I imagine), then you need Acrobat or its
equivalent. If you have Office 2007, you can download a free add-in from
Microsoft that will allow you to "print" PDFs from any Office app.

http://word.mvps.org

"mean mom" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
mean mom mean mom is offline

thanks to both of you for your replies - they have given me much good "food
for thought"....and gives me courage that maybe I'm on a "right track" for my
updates for my printed book.... now, just to get the work done!

"mean mom" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

PowerPoint is not a problem as you can SaveAs a 'Pack&Go' presentation. This
feature saves the presentation complete with a Run Time version of
PowerPoint so that it will run on any computer and not need PowerPoint to be
installed.

However, I think Suzanne's suggestion that you use Publisher and then for
distribution, use the PDF utility. Nearly every PC has a PDF reader.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"mean mom" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Do you want the recipients to have to use a computer to view the files or do
you envision something they can plug into their home DVD player and watch it
on their TV?

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"mean mom" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
mean mom mean mom is offline

no, I want it to be something they view on the compuer and IF they want to
they could print it out and have a printed copy.

I am thinking it will basically be just like a printed book, ONLY on a CD
instead of a bound volume as my original is... I just thought it might be a
quicker and more economical way to do an update...since most families do have
a computer of some kind in their homes now a days!... In my original work
(bound printed book - 599 pages and about one thousand photos) I had a page
for the family data (birth dates etc); then I asked them to write stories of
their childhood, etc., and to include photos...I want to do the same for the
"update" (the children that have grown up and have been born as well as
inserting the dates of deaths of those gone on since the original printing.)

and I just got to thinking that doing it on the computer might make it
quicker for me to get it compiled as well as a more economical way to make
copies to have for distribution.

I think in my mind I am getting a "vision" of a second book - with a table
of contents, family pages, etc. with pictures and stories all typed up in
WORD (or Publisher if I learn how to use it) with pages numbered etc. and
then saved to a master CD that can be copied for distribution - then the
person buying a CD wold take it home to their computer, put it in their
CD/DVD drive and "open" it up and then be able to scroll through the pages on
the computer screen...also to be able to "search" for names and not have to
read through every page - for example - let's say they have it in their drive
and it is open and they are justing wanting to know when "Aunt Mary" was born
- they can somehow type in a SEARCH for Aunt Mary and her page will pop up or
automatically scroll to her page.

am I even thinking of anything possible? possible meaning with my limited
knowledge - I know it is no doubt possible with professional desktop
publishers etc, but with someone that is middle age with limited computer
knowledge - I use Word but somewhat limited to what all I do with it - I am
trying to learn more about Word; I have done some Christmas family
newsletters with pictures etc...so I know you can insert photos in Word doc.

I have made up a chart (with tables) for the family data - I'm just not sure
how easy it will be to insert the information when I receive it back from the
people...I intend to mail out my inquiries, but I also intend to include an
email address should they desire to email their replies -- and I'm thinking
.... is there a way I can just copy and paste that without having to type....

I have a family "yahoo group" and am wondering if I post a file of this
blank chart for the family data if they could somehow download it from there,
fill out the information and return it to me via e-mail if I could somehow
use that without actually re-typing it???

well, looks like I'm adding more questions....(smile) -- this discussion
groups has been helpful - I truly do appreciate the replies! Thanks so much
to each of you!

"mean mom" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I suggest that you could do all this in Word and keep it as a Word document
for yourself. Then convert it to a PDF file for burning to CD to distribute.
That way you have an editable original and others have PDF version that
they cannot edit but can still read and search on their computers or print
it as a booklet.

Terry

"mean mom" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
mean mom mean mom is offline

thank you both - you're giving me lots of courage to go forward and try to
get this project "on the road"! Our next family reunion is July 2010 (next
year) - it'd be nice to at least have it well underway, if not finished by
then! (smile)....again, thanks to each and all of you for your comments -
they, truly, have been encouaging. and I still welcome other comments if
anybody, including those already commented, think of more! (smile) -- Becky

"mean mom" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

One source I think you might find very helpful (take it in small nibbles) is
http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm

http://word.mvps.org