Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Denna Denna is offline

Default Word 2003 Header Problem

I've checked all the messages and cannot find the answer to this problem.
Hopefully, someone here knows the answer!

I need to create a unique header on page 2 of a multi-page document.
Section breaks or page breaks didn't work. Breaking the link didn't work
either. I actually tried to use an IF statement, but my skills are modest at
best and could not get that to work either! Thanks for any help!!

--
Denna
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Local_IT Local_IT is offline

You were on the right track!

Create a section break for pages 1, 2, and 3, so that each is its own
section. Now click on View-Header and Footer, and you will notice on page
2's header that it says "Same as previous". Simply click the box "Link to
previous" to remove the link to page 1's header.

You can do the same thing on page 3 and beyond to resume with the "normal"
header.

Hope this helps.

"Denna" wrote:

I've checked all the messages and cannot find the answer to this problem.
Hopefully, someone here knows the answer!

I need to create a unique header on page 2 of a multi-page document.
Section breaks or page breaks didn't work. Breaking the link didn't work
either. I actually tried to use an IF statement, but my skills are modest at
best and could not get that to work either! Thanks for any help!!

--
Denna

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Local_IT Local_IT is offline

I should add that you must make sure that the cursor is on the page 2 header
when you "break the link". This worked perfectly for me in Word 2003. I was
able to have a unique header on every page of my test document.

"Denna" wrote:

I've checked all the messages and cannot find the answer to this problem.
Hopefully, someone here knows the answer!

I need to create a unique header on page 2 of a multi-page document.
Section breaks or page breaks didn't work. Breaking the link didn't work
either. I actually tried to use an IF statement, but my skills are modest at
best and could not get that to work either! Thanks for any help!!

--
Denna

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Denna Denna is offline

Thanks for your reply.....the problem is I don't want a header on any page
except page 2.....that's where I got into all the problems....I couldn't get
a header on page 2 and not have something on page 1 or 3......any suggestions?

thanks,
--
Denna

"Denna" wrote:

I've checked all the messages and cannot find the answer to this problem.
Hopefully, someone here knows the answer!

I need to create a unique header on page 2 of a multi-page document.
Section breaks or page breaks didn't work. Breaking the link didn't work
either. I actually tried to use an IF statement, but my skills are modest at
best and could not get that to work either! Thanks for any help!!

--
Denna

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can use an IF field:

{ IF { PAGE } = 2 "Text you want in the header" }

Each pair of field delimiters (the things that look like braces but can't be
typed from the keyboard) must be inserted using Ctrl+F9. With this
construction, no section breaks are required.

http://word.mvps.org

"Denna" wrote in message
I've checked all the messages and cannot find the answer to this problem.
Hopefully, someone here knows the answer!

I need to create a unique header on page 2 of a multi-page document.
Section breaks or page breaks didn't work. Breaking the link didn't work
either. I actually tried to use an IF statement, but my skills are modest
at
best and could not get that to work either! Thanks for any help!!

--
Denna

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If your document is only 3 pages, then you don't need section breaks
at all -- just enable "Different First Page" and "Different Odd and
Even" in Page Setup, and don't enter anything in the Headers for the
first and right-hand pages.

"Denna" wrote:

I've checked all the messages and cannot find the answer to this problem. *
Hopefully, someone here knows the answer!

I need to create a unique header on page 2 of a multi-page document. *
Section breaks or page breaks didn't work. *Breaking the link didn't work
either. *I actually tried to use an IF statement, but my skills are modest at
best and could not get that to work either! *Thanks for any help!!

--
Denna-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Denna Denna is offline

Suzanne,

I tried using the if statment, I keep getting: Error! Missing test
condition. What am I doing wrong? I used CTRL and F9 for the brackets, I
put IF and PAGE in caps, I enclosed the text in quotes.....
--
Denna

"Denna" wrote in message
I've checked all the messages and cannot find the answer to this problem.
Hopefully, someone here knows the answer!

I need to create a unique header on page 2 of a multi-page document.
Section breaks or page breaks didn't work. Breaking the link didn't work
either. I actually tried to use an IF statement, but my skills are modest
at
best and could not get that to work either! Thanks for any help!!

--
Denna

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Are both sets of field braces entered wiht CTRL+F9? The IF and the Page
fields? Is your spacing correct?

{ If { Page }= 2 "Then this""Else that" }

"Denna" wrote in message
I've checked all the messages and cannot find the answer to this
problem. Hopefully, someone here knows the answer!

I need to create a unique header on page 2 of a multi-page document.
Section breaks or page breaks didn't work. Breaking the link
didn't work either. I actually tried to use an IF statement, but
my skills are modest at
best and could not get that to work either! Thanks for any help!!

--
Denna

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Local_IT Local_IT is offline

That's perfectly fine.

You still create 3 section breaks, one for the first page, one for the
second, and one for the rest of the document. Next view your Header and
Footer. Go to page 2 and click in the Header box, then deselect the Link to
Previous button, and create your header. You will then need to slide down to
the header for page 3 and deselect the Link to Previous box, and delete the
header that was placed in the box. (You can also go to page 3 and break the
link there first so you don't have to delete the text at all)

Now your page 2 will have a header, and no other pages will. Again, I just
did this in Word 2003 as stated above and achieved your desired results.

Hope this helps.