Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default System information in Word 2007

A few years ago I stumbled across the W2003 System Info button on the About
Microsoft Office Word dialog. It show great about my computer, operating
system, MS Office, Word, AND the active Word document.

It shows
Name Factor 3 Personnel and Staffing Approach.doc
Path C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxx\My Documents\xxxxxx\xxxxxxxx\Factor 3
Personnel and Staffing Approach.doc
Size 178.5 KB
Create date 1/7/2009 11:13:00 AM
Author Pamelia Caswell
Last saved date 1/7/2009 11:14:00 AM
Last author Pamelia Caswell
Template C:\Documents and Settings\Pam Caswell\Application Data\Microsoft\
Templates\Normal.dot
Characters 22685
Characters (with spaces) 26278
Words 3739
Lines 819
Paragraphs 252
Pages 13
Sections 1
View Print view
Allow fast saves False
Window position Left: 0, Top: 0
Document contains Main text, Even pages header, Primary header, Even pages
footer, Primary footer, First page header, First page footer, Unknown,
Unknown, Unknown, Unknown

Among other things I found very useful, it also shows styles info for the
active document, such as

Autoformat as you type Define styles: False
Autoformat preserve styles True
Paragraph styles in use 20

Name: Action Caption Description: Caption + Font: Not Bold, Italic, Space
After: 10 pt
Base style: Caption Next style: Action Caption
Built-in: False No proofing: False
Automatically update: False

Name: Heading 1 Description: Normal + Font: (Default) Calibri, 16 pt, Bold,
Font color: Custom Color(RGB(255,251,240)), Kern at 16 pt, Indent: Left: 0",
Hanging: 0.3", Space Befo 13 pt, After: 3 pt, No widow/orphan control,
Keep with next, Level 1, Pattern: Clear (Custom Color(RGB(49,132,155))),
Outline numbered + Level: 1 + Numbering Style: 1, 2, 3, €¦ + Start at: 3 +
Alignment: Left + Aligned at: 0" + Tab after: 0" + Indent at: 0.3"
Base style: Normal Next style: Normal
Built-in: True No proofing: False
Automatically update: False

Unfortunately, now that I have removed W2003 from my desktop, W2007 does not
provide any information about the active document. Do any of you know
whether MS intends to restore this function to Word? Perhaps in the
upcoming service pack or in W2010?

thanks,
Pam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

My first paragraph should have read:
A few years ago I stumbled across the W2003 System Info button on the About
Microsoft Office Word dialog. It shows great info about the computer,
operating system, MS Office, Word, AND the active Word document.

Pam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thank you. No, it's not the name of anyone in my family. I thought my
parents had made it up€”since they told me that they compromised because one
liked Pamela and the other Amelia€”until internet searches proved the name is
much older than I am. But they never said where they'd heard it or who
they'd known with the name.

Pam

grammatim wrote:
That's a lovely name, Pamelia -- is it traditional in your family, or
do you have grandmothers Pamela and Amelia, or some such?

A few Â*years ago I stumbled across the Â*W2003 System Info button on the About
Microsoft Office Word dialog. Â*It show great about my computer, operating

[quoted text clipped - 58 lines]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's still the Office Button | Word Options | Resources: About brings up
the About Microsoft Office Word dialog, which has the System Info button as
before.

http://word.mvps.org

"PamC via OfficeKB.com" u43222@uwe wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi, Suzanne,

Yes, the button is there and you can get the same information about the
computer, system, Office, and Word, but not about the active document. No
list of styles in use, no info on the number of sections, page numbering,
headers and footers, how many tables there are in the document, etc. It all
says "Not available". Take a look in both of the versions you run. (I'm
pretty sure this was not in W2002, and very sure it wasn't in W2000.)

Pam

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
It's still the Office Button | Word Options | Resources: About brings up
the About Microsoft Office Word dialog, which has the System Info button as
before.

A few years ago I stumbled across the W2003 System Info button on the
About

[quoted text clipped - 61 lines]
thanks,
Pam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you using Word 2007 on a Vista machine?

The following may be relevant (although it;s possible it does not
describe quite the same problem):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926528

The article also suggest that although the utility worked with Word
2000, it did not do so if it was running on Windows 2000 (I can check
the Word 2000/Windows 2000 and Word XP/Win XP combinations if you are
interested, but not Word 2000+WinXP)

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
It's still the Office Button | Word Options | Resources: About brings up
the About Microsoft Office Word dialog, which has the System Info button as
before.

A few years ago I stumbled across the W2003 System Info button on the
About

[quoted text clipped - 61 lines]
thanks,
Pam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Peter, thank you very much for checking this. But I am using XP, and I am
getting information about Office 2007 and Word 2007, just no information
about the active document.

Pam

Peter Jamieson wrote:
Are you using Word 2007 on a Vista machine?

The following may be relevant (although it;s possible it does not
describe quite the same problem):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926528

The article also suggest that although the utility worked with Word
2000, it did not do so if it was running on Windows 2000 (I can check
the Word 2000/Windows 2000 and Word XP/Win XP combinations if you are
interested, but not Word 2000+WinXP)

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Hi, Suzanne,

[quoted text clipped - 16 lines]
thanks,
Pam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's rather odd. It tells me I have three documents open, but even when the
active document is one created in Word 2007, the Summary information I get
is about another document, one created in (and open in) Word 2003. And I get
the same disappointing results in Word 2003 (not surprisingly, I suppose).

Peter Jamieson wrote:
Are you using Word 2007 on a Vista machine?

The following may be relevant (although it;s possible it does not
describe quite the same problem):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926528

The article also suggest that although the utility worked with Word
2000, it did not do so if it was running on Windows 2000 (I can check
the Word 2000/Windows 2000 and Word XP/Win XP combinations if you are
interested, but not Word 2000+WinXP)

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Hi, Suzanne,

[quoted text clipped - 16 lines]
thanks,
Pam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

That MS KB Peter provided is amongst the least helpful I've seen recently.
It simply says you don't get the information on Vista and doesn't tell you
why or what you can do about it.

The System Information button just provides a way from Word to run the
Windows tool (otherwise available from Start All Programs Accessories
System Tools System Information). What you see depends on your Windows
version, although Windows may, in turn, query Word to be able to provide
Word-related information.

On XP, where I have several versions of Word installed, I do see all sorts
of information about Word 2003 and Word 2007 and an Active Document - but it
is decidedly confused, both about the document and the language it wants to
provide the information in. 2003 and 2007, and even Word 95, provide exactly
the same information (they are all running the sme tool). I don't have an XP
system with just 2003, or just 2007, to check. What do you see under Word
2007, Pam, if you have no document information?

Vista shows nothing Word-related at all.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com