Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
tjc tjc is offline

Default Apply Line Numbering to space before Styled Paragraphs

I use the "Line Numbers" dialgue under "Page Setup", "Layout" to apply line
numbers to a 2007 Word documet. The document is made up of a styled,
multi-level list. I want the line numbers to also be applied to the space
before the styled paragraphs. The typical styled paragraph has a 12 pt.
space before. I want that space to be line numbered also. How do I
accomplish this. There are two instances where the space before is 20 pt.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You can't have a line number where there isn't a "line." If you really do
have this requirement, then you'll have to either insert empty paragraphs
instead of using Spacing Before or create static line numbers in a text box
anchored to the header.

http://word.mvps.org

"tjc" wrote in message
I use the "Line Numbers" dialgue under "Page Setup", "Layout" to apply line
numbers to a 2007 Word documet. The document is made up of a styled,
multi-level list. I want the line numbers to also be applied to the space
before the styled paragraphs. The typical styled paragraph has a 12 pt.
space before. I want that space to be line numbered also. How do I
accomplish this. There are two instances where the space before is 20 pt.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
tjc tjc is offline

I have created various client templates to change the page formats of
specification documents comprised of styled, multi-level lists. A project
manual may contain hundreds of individual specification sections that need to
be formatted to match client standards. The client templates have automated
that function for me.

This client requires a line number at each blank line. I do not want to go
in to each specification section to insert empty paragraphs. How can I build
that into the mulit-level list style template that I have for generated for
this client?

"tjc" wrote in message
I use the "Line Numbers" dialgue under "Page Setup", "Layout" to apply line
numbers to a 2007 Word documet. The document is made up of a styled,
multi-level list. I want the line numbers to also be applied to the space
before the styled paragraphs. The typical styled paragraph has a 12 pt.
space before. I want that space to be line numbered also. How do I
accomplish this. There are two instances where the space before is 20 pt.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

I'm afraid it doesn't make any difference how many times you ask the same
question or how you re-phrase it, the answer will be the same :-) Suzanne's
reply is as succinct, accurate & complete as they come.

Space Before/After are paragraph formatting attributes which do exactly what
the names imply -- increase space between paragraphs to more than what the
Line Spacing calls for. They do not create a *line*, so Line Numbering
doesn't apply... There is no line to be numbered. Nor can anything else be
arbitrarily stuck into the 'gap' (other than a floating graphic object).

The concept is the same as if Double Line Spacing is used... The additional
gapping created between the lines of text doesn't constitute 'blank lines'.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/22/10 6:26 PM, in article