Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PlannerGuy PlannerGuy is offline

Default Autonumber not showing up in a StyleRef

My document includes dictionary style headers that provide a quick reference
point for readers to know what topic is being discussed on any given page.
The headers were created by inserting a "StyleRef" field which works great.

My problem comes from the fact that the style heading being referenced is
autonumbered throughout the document, and it is critical that the numbering
be reflected in my header. I've seemingly tried all of the settings, but I
can't get the autonumber to show up in the header...only the text will show.

Manually inserting the numbers before the text will work, but that's not a
feasible option given the changing nature and length of the document.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You can't accomplish what you want with a single StyleRef field. For the
paragraph number, you will need an additional StyleRef field with a switch,
as follows:

\n
Causes the field to display the entire paragraph number for a referenced
paragraph without trailing periods. No information about prior levels is
displayed unless it is included as part of the current level.

\r
Inserts the entire paragraph number of the bookmarked paragraph in relative
context€” or relative to the paragraph numbering scheme€” without trailing
periods.

\t
When used with the \n, \r, or \w switch, causes the STYLEREF field to
suppress nondelimiter, or nonnumerical, text.
With this switch, for example, you can reference "Section 1.01," and only
"1.01" is displayed in the result.

\w
Inserts the paragraph number of the bookmarked paragraph in full context,
from anywhere in the document.
For example, when referencing paragraph "ii.," a STYLEREF field with the \w
switch would return "1.a.ii" as a result.

http://word.mvps.org