Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jim

Default In Word My merged list does not display on the document

I've been trying to make a mail list in Word 2002 using the mailing label
wizard. I go through the steps and have tried Outlook contacts and created a
new list in Word and the addresses will not display on the document. I
receive no error messages, in fact it acts as if everything is fine. Even the
preview in the task pane shows the correct number of recpients but they do
not display on the document or print preview.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Smlt?=,

I've been trying to make a mail list in Word 2002 using the mailing label
wizard. I go through the steps and have tried Outlook contacts and created a
new list in Word and the addresses will not display on the document. I
receive no error messages, in fact it acts as if everything is fine. Even the
preview in the task pane shows the correct number of recpients but they do
not display on the document or print preview.

Forgive me if this is a silly question, but...

Have you actually inserted any mergefields into the first label on the label
sheet? After you do that, you need to "propagate" the labels (copy the first
label to the other ones).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jim

What I'm doing is following the prompts in the Mail Merge task pane. I am not
familiar with what you mentioned. I have contacts lists that I want to print
labels for. I select the list in the task pane on the right side of the
screen and it does not display the contacts in the document.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Smlt?=,

I've been trying to make a mail list in Word 2002 using the mailing label
wizard. I go through the steps and have tried Outlook contacts and created a
new list in Word and the addresses will not display on the document. I
receive no error messages, in fact it acts as if everything is fine. Even the
preview in the task pane shows the correct number of recpients but they do
not display on the document or print preview.

Forgive me if this is a silly question, but...

Have you actually inserted any mergefields into the first label on the label
sheet? After you do that, you need to "propagate" the labels (copy the first
label to the other ones).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

But, you did not answer Cindy's question. Did you insert any merge fields
into the label?

See the article "Mailmerge Labels with Word XP" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

and "Mailmerge from Outlook" item on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Jim" wrote in message
What I'm doing is following the prompts in the Mail Merge task pane. I am
not
familiar with what you mentioned. I have contacts lists that I want to
print
labels for. I select the list in the task pane on the right side of the
screen and it does not display the contacts in the document.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Smlt?=,

[...]

reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jim

Sorry, I thought "I am not familiar with what you mentioned" answered her
question. All I'm doing is following the prompts in the taskpane. I don't
know how to insert merge fields. I'll check out the link. Thanks

Jim

"Jim" wrote in message
What I'm doing is following the prompts in the Mail Merge task pane. I am
not
familiar with what you mentioned. I have contacts lists that I want to
print
labels for. I select the list in the task pane on the right side of the
screen and it does not display the contacts in the document.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Smlt?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jim

Cindy and Doug,
You were RIGHT! Thanks so much. The arrange your labels taskpane is not
specific about the process so I wasn't inserting the fields. I guess I was
giving the software too much credit by assuming it would know what info went
on an address label. My fault since they can be used for different tasks. The
article was awesome.
THANKS,
Jim

"Jim" wrote in message
What I'm doing is following the prompts in the Mail Merge task pane. I am
not
familiar with what you mentioned. I have contacts lists that I want to
print
labels for. I select the list in the task pane on the right side of the
screen and it does not display the contacts in the document.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Smlt?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

I guess I was
giving the software too much credit by assuming it would know what info went
on an address label.

G Glad you're finally up and running!

Cindy Meister

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
steph steph is offline

Default attempt to merge data from Word doc

"I am attempting to merge my data from a Word doc and get as far as the
envelope displays one address, the first from my data list, but no others are
diplayed or printed. Help!"
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

It sounds like you have not executed the merge.

It may be less confusing if you activate the Mail Merge toolbar by selecting
Toolbars from the View menu and the checking the Mail Merge item. On the
toolbar that will then appear, there are buttons at the right hand end to
execute the merge either to a new document or directly to the printer. I
would recommend the former so that you can check that all of the envelopes
are OK.