Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rachel Rachel is offline

Default I am unable to download a word document to a job web site

I am trying to download my CV to an employment website. An error message
comes up saying file not found check the file name and try again. I am using
Word 2003. The employment website accepts .doc .rtf .txt and PDF.

Any help gratefully received. Thank you.
Rachel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DeanH DeanH is offline

Firstly, ensure you have closed the Word file and the application before
trying the upload.
Many of these employment websites have a limit to either the File Size, or
even number of characters, they will accept.
Have you tried to Save As the Word file to RTF and upload that?
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Rachel" wrote:

I am trying to download my CV to an employment website. An error message
comes up saying file not found check the file name and try again. I am using
Word 2003. The employment website accepts .doc .rtf .txt and PDF.

Any help gratefully received. Thank you.
Rachel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rachel Rachel is offline

Hi

I have used the Save As The Word File. It is showing under file type as RTF

"Rachel" wrote:

I am trying to download my CV to an employment website. An error message
comes up saying file not found check the file name and try again. I am using
Word 2003. The employment website accepts .doc .rtf .txt and PDF.

Any help gratefully received. Thank you.
Rachel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Word 2003 creates .doc files. Are you sure you are pointing to the correct
file?

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Rachel" wrote in message
I am trying to download my CV to an employment website. An error message
comes up saying file not found check the file name and try again. I am
using
Word 2003. The employment website accepts .doc .rtf .txt and PDF.

Any help gratefully received. Thank you.
Rachel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Willett[_2_] Tom Willett[_2_] is offline

And, shouldn't she be uploading, not downloading?

"JoAnn Paules" wrote in message
: Word 2003 creates .doc files. Are you sure you are pointing to the correct
: file?
:
: --
: JoAnn Paules
: MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
: Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
:
:
:
: "Rachel" wrote in message
: ...
: I am trying to download my CV to an employment website. An error message
: comes up saying file not found check the file name and try again. I am
: using
: Word 2003. The employment website accepts .doc .rtf .txt and PDF.
:
: Any help gratefully received. Thank you.
: Rachel
:
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Yes, but I suspect that she's just using the wrong terminology.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Tom Willett" wrote in message
And, shouldn't she be uploading, not downloading?

"JoAnn Paules" wrote in message
: Word 2003 creates .doc files. Are you sure you are pointing to the
correct
: file?
:
: --
: JoAnn Paules
: MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
: Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
:
:
:
: "Rachel" wrote in message
: ...
: I am trying to download my CV to an employment website. An error
message
: comes up saying file not found check the file name and try again. I
am
: using
: Word 2003. The employment website accepts .doc .rtf .txt and PDF.
:
: Any help gratefully received. Thank you.
: Rachel
:
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_4_] Gordon[_4_] is offline

"Tom Willett" wrote in message
And, shouldn't she be uploading, not downloading?

Absolutely. However there seems to be a growing culture that the word
"download" is applied to all file movements to and from a computer,
including "installing" from a CD/DVD....;-)

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Willett[_2_] Tom Willett[_2_] is offline

I know. The dumbing down of society.

Tom
"Gordon" wrote in message
:
: "Tom Willett" wrote in message
: ...
: And, shouldn't she be uploading, not downloading?
:
: Absolutely. However there seems to be a growing culture that the word
: "download" is applied to all file movements to and from a computer,
: including "installing" from a CD/DVD....;-)
:
: --
: Asking a question?
: Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
: your OS, Service Pack level
: and the FULL contents of any error message(s)
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Unfortunately it's nothing new, Tom. A large segment of society has
*perennially* latched on to industry buzz words [in virtually every
industry] without having any understanding of what the terms actually
mean... I routinely hear users refer to having "500 GB of *memory*".

You can't really blame the individuals entirely because the industry fosters
such confusion and misinformation... Like marketing USB devices as "drives"
& good ol' MS lumping Photographs, Movies & Sounds in with ClipArt :-)

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

"Gordon" wrote in message
:
: "Tom Willett" wrote in message
: ...
: And, shouldn't she be uploading, not downloading?
:
: Absolutely. However there seems to be a growing culture that the word
: "download" is applied to all file movements to and from a computer,
: including "installing" from a CD/DVD....;-)
:
: --
: Asking a question?
: Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
: your OS, Service Pack level
: and the FULL contents of any error message(s)
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

I believe that people need to take the time to understand some of the basics
and use the correct terminology. Evn tho prices have come down drastically
over the years, computers are not cheap. Why is it so uncommon for people to
at least know a little something about their investment?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

.. .

"Gordon" wrote in message
:
: "Tom Willett" wrote in message
: ...
: And, shouldn't she be uploading, not downloading?
:
: Absolutely. However there seems to be a growing culture that the word
: "download" is applied to all file movements to and from a computer,
: including "installing" from a CD/DVD....;-)
:
: --
: Asking a question?
: Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
: your OS, Service Pack level
: and the FULL contents of any error message(s)
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
pushpinder via OfficeKB.com pushpinder via OfficeKB.com is offline

I think rather than discussing the basic computer terminology, we should be
discussing the solution of Rachel's question.

Rachel, can you confirm whether you can upload your Resume now or you are
still facing some troubles.

Regards,
Pushpinder

JoAnn Paules wrote:
I believe that people need to take the time to understand some of the basics
and use the correct terminology. Evn tho prices have come down drastically
over the years, computers are not cheap. Why is it so uncommon for people to
at least know a little something about their investment?

Unfortunately it's nothing new, Tom. A large segment of society has
*perennially* latched on to industry buzz words [in virtually every

[quoted text clipped - 24 lines]
: "download" is applied to all file movements to and from a computer,
: including "installing" from a CD/DVD....;-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_4_] Gordon[_4_] is offline

pushpinder via OfficeKB.com wrote:
I think rather than discussing the basic computer terminology, we should be
discussing the solution of Rachel's question.

We have done.
However, it's like someone going to their mechanic and saying "my tyre
has inflated and I can't drive on it" - isn't it?