Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Monica Burns Monica Burns is offline

Default QAT Losing Settings

Keep losing my settings on my QAT. I'll open it up and all the settings I've
added in are completely gone, below the ribbon AND my keyboard. I've not
done anything different. I closed out the software, reopened it. No go, I've
looked in the Knowledge base and no go.

This has happened to me twice now and is VERY frustrating. I customize the
QAT and the keyboard for ease of use as I have fibromyalgia and the intensive
mouse work with this new ribbon only exacerbates the problem.

I hope someone can help me with an answer as I despise the Ribbon, and as a
POWER USER, I want the ability to customize the usability of software to
match my needs.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you Customize your QAT, is the box checked to save changes in
normal.dotm? (I think it's checked by default.)

Or are you on some sort of corporate network where they wipe out any
individual customizations every night?

On Jan 6, 6:56*am, Monica Burns
wrote:
Keep losing my settings on my QAT. I'll open it up and all the settings I've
added in are completely gone, below the ribbon AND my keyboard. *I've not
done anything different. I closed out the software, reopened it. No go, I've
looked in the Knowledge base and no go.

This has happened to me twice now and is VERY frustrating. I customize the
QAT and the keyboard for ease of use as I have fibromyalgia and the intensive
mouse work with this new ribbon only exacerbates the problem.

I hope someone can help me with an answer as I despise the Ribbon, and as a
POWER USER, I want the ability to customize the usability of software to
match my needs.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Are you on a network and use a roaming profile? If so, take a look at this
KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958062

It's likely something you can't implement yourself but your IT department
should be able to.

Also, you might want to make a backup copy of Word.qat located at:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office

That way if you find they disappear again you can replace the newly created
file with your customizations.

~Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

"Monica Burns" wrote in message
Keep losing my settings on my QAT. I'll open it up and all the settings
I've
added in are completely gone, below the ribbon AND my keyboard. I've not
done anything different. I closed out the software, reopened it. No go,
I've
looked in the Knowledge base and no go.

This has happened to me twice now and is VERY frustrating. I customize the
QAT and the keyboard for ease of use as I have fibromyalgia and the
intensive
mouse work with this new ribbon only exacerbates the problem.

I hope someone can help me with an answer as I despise the Ribbon, and as
POWER USER, I want the ability to customize the usability of software to
match my needs.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Unlike previous versions, Quick Access Toolbar customizations aren't stored
in the Normal template. They are stored in a file named Word.qat at:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office

Keyboard customization, though, are still stored in the Normal template by
default. I think those are being lost too, based on the post. So it could be
due to a roaming profile, as noted in my reply, or a corporate network that
doesn't allow customizations to be saved, or perhaps a third-party add-in
that discards changes when you exit Word.

~Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

wrote:
Keep losing my settings on my QAT. I'll open it up and all the settings
I've
added in are completely gone, below the ribbon AND my keyboard. I've not
done anything different. I closed out the software, reopened it. No go,
I've
looked in the Knowledge base and no go.

This has happened to me twice now and is VERY frustrating. I customize
the
QAT and the keyboard for ease of use as I have fibromyalgia and the
intensive
mouse work with this new ribbon only exacerbates the problem.

I hope someone can help me with an answer as I despise the Ribbon, and as
POWER USER, I want the ability to customize the usability of software to
match my needs.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ah. It's the dropdown at the upper right, the default being "For all
documents," the other choice being for the particular document.

But when I installed Office2007 on the new Windows 7 laptop, I don't
think I copied over a Word.qat file, just the normal.dotm, and my
custom QAT appeared intact. But maybe I did.

wrote:
Keep losing my settings on my QAT. I'll open it up and all the settings
I've
added in are completely gone, below the ribbon AND my keyboard. *I've not
done anything different. I closed out the software, reopened it. No go,
I've
looked in the Knowledge base and no go.

This has happened to me twice now and is VERY frustrating. I customize
the
QAT and the keyboard for ease of use as I have fibromyalgia and the
intensive
mouse work with this new ribbon only exacerbates the problem.

I hope someone can help me with an answer as I despise the Ribbon, and as
POWER USER, I want the ability to customize the usability of software to
match my needs.

Thanks-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Do you recall if you opened your Normal.dotm and changed the QAT
customization context so the changes were stored in your Normal.dotm? If you
want to keep your customizations in one place that would be the way to do
it.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If it asked me if I wanted to save changes to normal.dotm, then I said
yes; I don't think I ever specifically opened the template when adding
things to QAT, because I knew the changes would stick for future
documents.

I haven't put things on the QAT to relate to only one document or the
one special template I have.

Losing Formatting Bret Mailmerge 1 June 4th 09 06:14 AM
APA Style settings , Annotation Bibliography settings Annie Microsoft Word Help 1 March 2nd 09 11:24 AM
Losing Format KenG Page Layout 1 May 9th 07 07:28 AM
Giving priority to printerdriver-settings instead of doc settings Daan Page Layout 0 October 26th 06 12:19 PM
Losing toolbar settings in Word editor Colonel Blip New Users 2 November 8th 05 04:00 PM