Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hib6545 hib6545 is offline

Default When is Microsoft going to redo the whole Word 2007 menu and toolb

Dear Microsoft. I have no idea who laid out Word 2007 but the toolbar, icons
and menus at the top makit impossiblefor me to do my job. You should give
people the option to keep the menus and icons layout that is in Word 2003. I
spend most of my time trying to find things because whoever decided on these
groupings makes no sense. I created my own customer toolbar but I can't put
everything I need and use there. In your next release, please put in the
option to have the origianal toolbar and menu of Word 2003. I am losing so
much productive time becasue I can't find anything.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

Well you are out of luck. Office 2010 has more ribbons than ever.

Check http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Ribbon_Menu_Controls.htm . Just below the
last image you can find an addin to get the old menus in Word 2007 (well
almost). But honestly, you shouldn't be using them. It's time to learn
something new and move on.

Yves

"hib6545" wrote in message
Dear Microsoft. I have no idea who laid out Word 2007 but the toolbar,
icons
and menus at the top makit impossiblefor me to do my job. You should give
people the option to keep the menus and icons layout that is in Word 2003.
spend most of my time trying to find things because whoever decided on
these
groupings makes no sense. I created my own customer toolbar but I can't
put
everything I need and use there. In your next release, please put in the
option to have the origianal toolbar and menu of Word 2003. I am losing so
much productive time becasue I can't find anything.

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom Willett[_2_] Tom Willett[_2_] is offline

ROFL! Now that Word 2010 is out, that's it for 2007. Oh, guess what fun the
toolbar is in 2010!

"hib6545" wrote in message
: Dear Microsoft. I have no idea who laid out Word 2007 but the toolbar,
icons
: and menus at the top makit impossiblefor me to do my job. You should give
: people the option to keep the menus and icons layout that is in Word 2003.
: spend most of my time trying to find things because whoever decided on
these
: groupings makes no sense. I created my own customer toolbar but I can't
put
: everything I need and use there. In your next release, please put in the
: option to have the origianal toolbar and menu of Word 2003. I am losing so
: much productive time becasue I can't find anything.
:
: ----------------
: This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
: suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
: Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow
this
: link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
: click "I Agree" in the message pane.
:
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PJY PJY is offline

Default When is Microsoft going to redo the whole Word 2007 menu and t

Why? Why should we learn something new and move on? Have you ever heard the
expression, if it ain't broke, don't fix it? Well, for some of us the way
2003 gave us freedom to work the way we want to work wasn't broke. You
should have seen the custom toolbars I had in 2003! It made my job SOOOOOOOO
much easier!! I could add macros (of course I know I can add them to the
QAT, but there's not enough room for everything I use), rearrange the
placement of the icons, change the icons and so much more, so again Why? I
was lucky enough to be forewarned that our company was moving to 2007 so I
had my add-ins all ready to install and use them on a daily basis just as I
did when using 2003. All the other person was saying is Why not give users a
choice? Again Why? Is there REALLY a reason? And, no we don't have to get
used to it - we always have the choice to use a different software product!

"hib6545" wrote in message
Dear Microsoft. I have no idea who laid out Word 2007 but the toolbar,
icons
and menus at the top makit impossiblefor me to do my job. You should give
people the option to keep the menus and icons layout that is in Word 2003.
spend most of my time trying to find things because whoever decided on
these
groupings makes no sense. I created my own customer toolbar but I can't
put
everything I need and use there. In your next release, please put in the
option to have the origianal toolbar and menu of Word 2003. I am losing so
much productive time becasue I can't find anything.

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom Willett[_2_] Tom Willett[_2_] is offline

And, no we don't have to get
: used to it - we always have the choice to use a different software
product!

Then stop your whining and use a different software product.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

Word 2003 wasn't broken, so according to your logic, Microsoft shouldn't
have created a Word 2007 and even when they did, the OP shouldn't have
upgraded to it.

The expression "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" has serious drawbacks. If
you follow this rule strictly there will never be any progress. Evolution is
nothing more than changing mostly non-broken things. Or do you think walking
on two feet was the result of crawling on four feet being broken? Or animal
riding was the result of walking on two feet being broken? Or the car was
invented because animal riding was broken and needed fixing?

Besides, who decides what is broken and what is not? One could easily argue
that a menu-driven approach was broken as to not enough information being
visible at any given time for example.

The behaviour of Word 2003 custom toolbars can easily be mimicked in Word
2007 by custom tabs. It might ask a little effort to set up initially but
the end result is pretty similar.

As to giving the users a choice: the users have plenty of choice, stick to
Word 2003, switch to another office suite (Open Office for example), ... or
move on to Word 2007 and learn something new. If they choose for the latter,
they shouldn't be complaining about it.

Yves

"hib6545" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PJY PJY is offline

Wow, you really take an inch and make it a mile don't you! I wasn't writing
about evolution - good grief - we're talking about a mere software program,
folks. All I am saying is that MS could have/should have given the user a
choice and they did not. And, yes, according to my logic MS should NOT have
created Word 2007. That is EXACTLY how I feel. For what I use it for, I see
absolutely no improvement whatsoever, only hindrances. Others who use
different options may find it easier - I, however, only find it harder to use
and prefer 2003. I had no choice in this matter, so you cannot put the blame
on me AND I was NOT complaining. You act as though 2007 was your idea and I
just hurt your feelings! I guess you just slid by my statement saying I did
add my own tab. So, I know how to "work around" the problems, but, I think
you missed my point entirely. A choice would have been helpful. I don't like
it - so YOU GET USED TO IT!!! Not everyone thinks it's great - GET USED TO
IT.
P.S. I don't like spinach, either, are you going to condemn me for that, too?

"hib6545" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PJY PJY is offline

I wasn't whining - just stating facts and opinions. And, the new software
will be loaded June 1.

"Tom Willett" wrote:

And, no we don't have to get
: used to it - we always have the choice to use a different software
product!

Then stop your whining and use a different software product.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

I'm not going to condemn you because you don't like spinach. I'm going to
condemn you for eating spinach and then come to a public forum to complain
about the taste of spinach you just ate. If you don't like spinach, then
don't eat it. There are plenty of other vegetables to choose from. And the
exact same thing holds for your word processor.

Why do people always complain about the consequences of their own actions
(be it eating spinach or upgrading their software)? And why do they try to
move the blame from themselves to a(n anonymous) third party?

You didn't hurt my feelings on the subject as I don't really care about the
user interface. I prefer shortcuts over having to take my hand away from the
keyboard to move a mouse. If this discussion would move in the direction of
science, then I would have to say that the new user interface is more user
friendly than the old one. But then again, in such a discussion, one would
have to admit that the UI of a Mac, where the menu items are located at the
very top of the window, is still better.

I don't think I'm missing your point, I believe you are missing mine: you
had a choice! You could have kept using Word 2003 without a problem. Just
like there are still plenty of people out there using Word XP without a
problem. The fact that you made the choice to switch to Word 2007 forfaits
any rights you have to complain about changes it made to existing things.

Yves

"hib6545" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Twayne[_2_] Twayne[_2_] is offline

In ,
Yves Dhondt typed:
Word 2003 wasn't broken, so according to your logic,
Microsoft shouldn't have created a Word 2007 and even when
they did, the OP shouldn't have upgraded to it.

The expression "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" has
serious drawbacks. If you follow this rule strictly there
will never be any progress.

Oh, man, here we go again. Progress for the sake of progress. If it ain't
broke, then it doesn't need to be fixed. That says absolutely NOTHING for
the researchers, but is good advice to a user. If the $$ spent don't buy you
anything you can use, then it's wasted money. A person upgrades when there
is a value offered in the upgrade, not simply because "it's there".
Microsoft must really love you!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

I was merely pointing out that the expression "if it ain't broke, don't fix
it" is broken in itself as it stops progress. Whether that progress is for
the sake of progress or not was never part of that discussion.

The intention of my original reply to the OP was that as he had a perfectly
fine product (2003) but still decided to upgrade to 2007, he forfaited any
rights to complain about changes made to the product.

Yves

"Twayne" wrote in message
In ,
Yves Dhondt typed:
Word 2003 wasn't broken, so according to your logic,
Microsoft shouldn't have created a Word 2007 and even when
they did, the OP shouldn't have upgraded to it.

The expression "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" has
serious drawbacks. If you follow this rule strictly there
will never be any progress.

Oh, man, here we go again. Progress for the sake of progress. If it ain't
broke, then it doesn't need to be fixed. That says absolutely NOTHING for
the researchers, but is good advice to a user. If the $$ spent don't buy
you anything you can use, then it's wasted money. A person upgrades when
there is a value offered in the upgrade, not simply because "it's there".
Microsoft must really love you!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

I was merely pointing out that the expression "if it ain't broke, don't fix
it" is broken in itself as it stops progress. Whether that progress is for
the sake of progress or not was never part of that discussion.

The intention of my original reply to the OP was that as he had a perfectly
fine product (2003) but still decided to upgrade to 2007, he forfaited any
rights to complain about changes made to the product.

Yves

"Twayne" wrote in message
In ,
Yves Dhondt typed: