Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
MP81

Default How do I fix a corrupted table?

I am trying to open one of my Word Documents, and now I get this error saying
"A table in this document has become corrupted. To recover the contents of
the table: select the table and choose Convert Table to Text from the table
menu." Well, that's all well and good, and I'd love to do that, but the
document shuts down instantly after clicking "OK". How do I fix this? I do
NOT want to lose this document, as it has required a bit of work to do, and I
will be quite angry having to start over.

I'm using Microsoft Word 2002, part of the Works 6.0 package.

Thanks
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I fix a corrupted table?

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with a corrupted table in your Word document. Here's what you can try to fix it:
  1. First, make a backup copy of your document, just in case something goes wrong during the repair process.
  2. Open the document and try to select the table that's causing the problem. If you can't select it, try clicking just outside the table and then pressing the Tab key to move the cursor into the table.
  3. Once you've selected the table, go to the Table menu and choose Convert Table to Text.
  4. In the Convert Table to Text dialog box, choose the type of separator you want to use between the columns of text (e.g. tabs, commas, paragraphs).
  5. Click OK to convert the table to text. If the document shuts down at this point, try opening it again and see if the table has been converted to text.
  6. If the document still won't open, try opening a new, blank document and then go to the Insert menu and choose File. Select your corrupted document and click Insert. This will insert the contents of the document into the new document, but it may also leave out any corrupted elements.
  7. If none of these steps work, you may need to try a third-party recovery tool or seek help from a professional data recovery service.

I hope this helps you recover your document without losing any of your hard work. Good luck!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

Make a copy of the Word 2002 file, and then try using the Open
and Repair option in Word 2002 to open the copy. You don't see
an Open and Repair option in Word 2002? In Word 2002, click on
File | Open, click on the little black downward-pointing triangle
at the right end of the Open button, and click on Open and Repair.

Also see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm .

MP81 wrote:

I am trying to open one of my Word Documents, and now I get this error saying
"A table in this document has become corrupted. To recover the contents of
the table: select the table and choose Convert Table to Text from the table
menu." Well, that's all well and good, and I'd love to do that, but the
document shuts down instantly after clicking "OK". How do I fix this? I do
NOT want to lose this document, as it has required a bit of work to do, and I
will be quite angry having to start over.

I'm using Microsoft Word 2002, part of the Works 6.0 package.

Thanks

Mele Mele is offline
Junior Member

The 'Open and Repair' option wouldn't work for me in fixing the corrupted table error message. However, I found a workaround in Word 2003 that doesn't take up too much time. It may work in other versions of Word as well, but I haven't tried them yet.
Select each table one at a time (the entire table) and if the copy command is grayed out, then that's the table that's corrupt.
Hope this helps. It sure saved me a lot of time.
Mele

MP81 wrote:

I am trying to open one of my Word Documents, and now I get this error saying
"A table in this document has become corrupted. To recover the contents of
the table: select the table and choose Convert Table to Text from the table
menu." Well, that's all well and good, and I'd love to do that, but the
document shuts down instantly after clicking "OK". How do I fix this? I do
NOT want to lose this document, as it has required a bit of work to do, and I
will be quite angry having to start over.

I'm using Microsoft Word 2002, part of the Works 6.0 package.

Thanks
[/quote]