Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frank C. Frank C. is offline

Default Retrieve document that was closed as Document 1?

I had a three page Word document still titled as Document 1 that I accidently
closed before remembering I wanted to keep the first page. I had not saved
the document before closing so if I select a Word document again I will get
Document 1 but it will be blank. Is there any way I can retrieve this
document?
Frank C.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

If you're using Word 2010 then you should be able to recover a good portion
of the document, if not all of the content you wanted to keep with the new
Recover Unsaved Versions feature. If the file was never previously saved
(which it sounds like it wasn't), click the File Tab and at the bottom of
the Recent Documents list, click "Recover unsaved documents." You may need
to open a few unsaved documents to find the one you are looking for. If it
was previously saved, reopen the last saved version of the document, click
the File Tab and then on the Info tab you'll find the ability to open the
last autosaved version in the Versions section.

If you aren't using Word 2010 then as Graham noted, unfortunately you're out
of luck.

~Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

"Frank C." wrote in message
I had a three page Word document still titled as Document 1 that I
accidently
closed before remembering I wanted to keep the first page. I had not
saved
the document before closing so if I select a Word document again I will
get
Document 1 but it will be blank. Is there any way I can retrieve this
document?
Frank C.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Interesting - however for those without 2010 and a little money to spend,
Undelete Professional 2009 offers the same sort of function for earlier Word
versions by storing all the deleted autorecovery files (and everything else
you delete whether by accident of design) - though of course only from the
time you install this software and in the case of autorecovery, you do have
to have that function switched on. The first time you lose an important
document it will pay for itself.