D4P D4P is offline
Junior Member

Default Problems transferring Autocorrect entries to another computer

Hi all.

I have been attempting to transfer Autocorrect entries from an old laptop to a new one, and have had only partial success.

I have some Word files on the new laptop that I transferred from the old. When I open one of those old files on the new laptop, the transferred Autocorrect entries work.

But when I open a new Word file on the new laptop, the transferred Autocorrect entries DO NOT work.

Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

If AutoCorrect works on some documents but not others then check your
proofing language. AutoCorrect entries aren't document specific but they are
language specific.

~Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

news

--
D4P

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Which version of Word do you have? Is it the same version on both
computers? Exactly which files did you transfer, and how did you do
it?

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...utocorrect.htm
for procedures.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 22:46:23 +0000, D4P
wrote:

Hi all.

I have been attempting to transfer Autocorrect entries from an old
laptop to a new one, and have had only partial success.

I have some Word files on the new laptop that I transferred from the
old. When I open one of those old files on the new laptop, the
transferred Autocorrect entries work.

But when I open a new Word file on the new laptop, the transferred
Autocorrect entries DO NOT work.

Any suggestions?

D4P D4P is offline
Junior Member

I'm using Word 2000 on each machine. The files are just a random assortment of various Word files I created on the old machine, that I transferred to the new machine over a wireless network.

As per the link you provided, I have tried both methods listed.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 20:16:49 +0000, D4P
wrote:

I'm using Word 2000 on each machine. The files are just a random
assortment of various Word files I created on the old machine, that I
transferred to the new machine over a wireless network.

As per the link you provided, I have tried both methods listed.

I think Beth Melton's suggestion is probably the correct one. The
language applied to the documents that came from the old machine is
the same as the language of your AutoCorrect entries, so those
documents trigger AutoCorrect replacements. I think the language
applied to the Normal.dot template on the new machine (and therefore
applied to all new documents based on that template) is some other
"language" variant. For example, one may be English UK and the other
English US, or some other combination.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

D4P D4P is offline
Junior Member

Oops, I hadn't seen Beth's comment when I responded to Jay's.

It looks like Beth was correct: my new documents were opening up with a different proofing language than my old ones. When I changed the proofing language, Autocorrect entries started working.

So: how do I make a permanent change to the proofing language? It doesn't seem to save my changes when I change it...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 03:53:46 +0000, D4P
wrote:

Oops, I hadn't seen Beth's comment when I responded to Jay's.

It looks like Beth was correct: my new documents were opening up with a
different proofing language than my old ones. When I changed the
proofing language, Autocorrect entries started working.

So: how do I make a permanent change to the proofing language? It
doesn't seem to save my changes when I change it...

Open the Normal.dot template by using File Open and navigating to
the Templates folder (for directions, see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...cNotBlank.htm). Select
the single empty paragraph mark and apply the right language to it.
Save and close the template.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But note that Word will by default use the language selected as the default
in Windows; see http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm

http://word.mvps.org

wrote:

Oops, I hadn't seen Beth's comment when I responded to Jay's.

It looks like Beth was correct: my new documents were opening up with a
different proofing language than my old ones. When I changed the
proofing language, Autocorrect entries started working.

So: how do I make a permanent change to the proofing language? It
doesn't seem to save my changes when I change it...

Open the Normal.dot template by using File Open and navigating to
the Templates folder (for directions, see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...cNotBlank.htm). Select
the single empty paragraph mark and apply the right language to it.
Save and close the template.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so all may benefit.

D4P D4P is offline
Junior Member

Everything is working now. Thanks a lot for your help.