Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pcm pcm is offline

Default User Interface for Word

Is it possible to design a user interface that runs on top of Word to
generate documents? There are numerous, expensive Electronic Medical Record
(EMR)applications that allow you to select items on a user interface that
generate patient notes and reports. They don't provide a great deal of
flexibility. I would like to design my own. Does Word have this capability?
If not, is there another application that does?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

I wouldn't try to design some kind of user interface on top of Word.
Although it might be possible, there are better ways of handling this. Why
not let your application create the Word document? You could use the openxml
sdk to generate documents. For an example see
http://www.labo-dotnet.com/post/Crea...ML-20-SDK.aspx
(this example was randomly taken from Google search results, there are
dozens of others which are possibly as good or even better)

Yves

"pcm" wrote in message
Is it possible to design a user interface that runs on top of Word to
generate documents? There are numerous, expensive Electronic Medical
Record
(EMR)applications that allow you to select items on a user interface that
generate patient notes and reports. They don't provide a great deal of
flexibility. I would like to design my own. Does Word have this
capability?
If not, is there another application that does?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Why not simply create a template (or templates) - either as a protected
form. For help on creating protected forms, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm

In order to use form fields in Word 2007, you will need to display the
Developer tab (Office Button Word Options Popular Show the Developer
tab in the Ribbon) and then use the Legacy Forms controls from the Legacy
Tools palette in the Controls group on that tab. You will find those
controls more accessible if you modify the ribbon as described at
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Classic%20Form%20Controls.htm

or automated with a userform to collect the variable data - For the basics,
see Word MVP FAQ - Userforms
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms.htm

for a more in depth explanation, see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Create_and...a_UserForm.htm