Default Is Office 2010 better than Office 2007

Is Office 2010 better than Office 2007

--
Message posted via OfficeKB.com
http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.a...neral/201005/1

#2   Report Post  
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Is Office 2010 better than Office 2007

Yes, Office 2010 is generally considered to be better than Office 2007. Here are some reasons why:
  1. Improved user interface: Office 2010 introduced the ribbon interface, which made it easier to find and use various features. The ribbon was further improved in Office 2010 with the introduction of the File tab, which replaced the Office button in Office 2007.
  2. Better collaboration tools: Office 2010 introduced several new collaboration tools, such as co-authoring, which allows multiple users to work on the same document at the same time. This feature was not available in Office 2007.
  3. More powerful graphics and multimedia tools: Office 2010 introduced several new features for working with graphics and multimedia, such as improved picture editing tools and the ability to embed videos in presentations. These features were not available in Office 2007.
  4. Improved performance: Office 2010 was optimized to run faster and more efficiently than Office 2007, especially on older computers.
  5. Better integration with other Microsoft products: Office 2010 was designed to work seamlessly with other Microsoft products, such as SharePoint and OneDrive. This integration was not as strong in Office 2007.

Overall, while Office 2007 was a significant improvement over earlier versions of Office, Office 2010 is generally considered to be a better and more powerful version of the software.
  #3   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
external usenet poster

Yes.

Hard to answer such a general, and somewhat subjective, question. Office
2010 offers some new and improved functionality that you may, or may not, be
interested in. It also fixes many bugs that were in 2007, so, yes, it is
better. Whether or not it is enough better to justify upgrading is a
personal decision. I don't yet have 2010 on all my machines but intend to
have soon.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"kristain via OfficeKB.com" u59322@uwe wrote in message
news:a8d239ff3e705@uwe...

--

#4   Report Post  
external usenet poster

I agree with Tony.

My take is that some (not all) of the terrible blunders of 2007 have been addressed. Not perfectly, but there's some better thought put into the interface in particular. For some examples, the Ribbon is now much more easily customised (though still far from as user-friendly as menus in 2003) and that idiotic Office carbuncle has been replaced by a sensible file button (blue background with File in white letters).

All the Ribbon icons are much cleaner and easier to read. Though one glaring error (which I will still argue with the developers until I win) is that those stupid miniature arrows (Dialog Launchers) are still used in the Group Title bars to select the dialogs. Their defence in not making the whole title bar into a clickable button is that users may accidentally press the title bar to launch the dialogs! I find their argument is crazy: users will only be clicking in the title area to launch the dialog because the title bar does nothing!

The old Print Preview Pane seems to have been replaced by a sub-standard offering, but in fact, it has merely been hidden from the users and the command can be added back to the QAT.

Oops! Just climbing down from my soap box.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"kristain via OfficeKB.com" u59322@uwe wrote in message news:a8d239ff3e705@uwe...

--

#5   Report Post  
external usenet poster

If you have spent money on the Office 2003 proofing tools and still wish to
use them, Word 2010 will not allow that, whereas Word 2007 will.
Personally I prefer the Word 2007 colour scheme, and I don't much care for
the ribbon that has been added to Outlook. I am in no hurry to 'upgrade'.

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

"kristain via OfficeKB.com" u59322@uwe wrote in message
news:a8d239ff3e705@uwe...

--

#6   Report Post  
external usenet poster

They might have replaced that "idiotic Office carbuncle" with something more sensible, but they forgot to put the more sensible thing in the sensible place, namely where that carbuncle was...

I can't find it back right now, but I have seen screenshots showing that the quality of the icons and text is actually becoming worse with each version of Office (starting from Office 2003). Apparently, everything depends on your screen settings.

I would update if you want to use equations in Powerpoint (as it now has the same possibilities as Word) or want to be able to manipulate images more easiliy from Word. The ribbon is hardly a reason to upgrade.

Yves
"Terry Farrell" wrote in message ...
I agree with Tony.

My take is that some (not all) of the terrible blunders of 2007 have been addressed. Not perfectly, but there's some better thought put into the interface in particular. For some examples, the Ribbon is now much more easily customised (though still far from as user-friendly as menus in 2003) and that idiotic Office carbuncle has been replaced by a sensible file button (blue background with File in white letters).

All the Ribbon icons are much cleaner and easier to read. Though one glaring error (which I will still argue with the developers until I win) is that those stupid miniature arrows (Dialog Launchers) are still used in the Group Title bars to select the dialogs. Their defence in not making the whole title bar into a clickable button is that users may accidentally press the title bar to launch the dialogs! I find their argument is crazy: users will only be clicking in the title area to launch the dialog because the title bar does nothing!

The old Print Preview Pane seems to have been replaced by a sub-standard offering, but in fact, it has merely been hidden from the users and the command can be added back to the QAT.

--

"kristain via OfficeKB.com" u59322@uwe wrote in message news:a8d239ff3e705@uwe...

--

#7   Report Post  
external usenet poster

Thanks for your replies.

--
kristain Hayes

http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.a...neral/201006/1

#8   Report Post  
external usenet poster

Hi Yves

Fitts's Law. Yes, it is interesting that Microsoft paid homage to it very selectively! When they dropped the dreadful ORB, they could have easily moved the Word logo from the top left corner and made the new FILE button meet Fitts's law. In fact, they could have combined the W logo and FILE into one larger button. But in their haste to dump the Orb, they didn't think. Something like:

Although the W does have some functions, I don't believe I have ever used it to execute any of those function. I bet most users don't know it is anything but the Word logo!

There' is just so much they have messed up when they decided to implement the Ribbon. I'd love to run the Office team and get that interface sorted out. I assure you that Fitts's law would be far more evident and ALL the ribbon would be drag and drop customisable.

Terry

Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 7:15 AM
To: Terry Farrell
Subject: Is Office 2010 better than Office 2007

Terry,

There is a law called Fitt's law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitts's_law) which is rather important when it comes to designing user interfaces.

The Office orb follows Fitt's law perfectly. As it is located in the top left corner (assuming a maximized window), you basically could 'throw' your mouse in the direction of that corner and you ended up in the correct place. The new File button is located a lot lower. It becomes much easier to 'overshoot' when aiming for that button with your mouse. So from a UI design perspective, they should have put it higher (more towards the corner).

I rarely use a Mac and am a dedicated Windows user, but when it comes to user interface design, the designers at Apple clearly new what they were doing when they put the menu bar for every program at the very top of the window. It's a lot harder to miss them as you basically have unlimited access on the top side of the menus as you can't move your mouse of the screen.

Your remarks that dialog launchers are too small is also correct according to Fitt's law. They require almost perfect hand/mouse-eye coordination to hit them, assuming you already know what they are. So they are clearly a design flaw no matter what the Office UI design team says. I believe their point was something along the line of your mouse already being in the correct group and most likely at a standstill when you realise you need the dialog launchers. So you wouldn't be moving at full speed yet when you reached the button. But that's based on a lot of assumptions.

Yves

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 12:38 AM, Terry Farrell wrote:

Yves

I'm not quite sure what you mean: the File button is approximately in the same place as the carbuncle. Perhaps you have only seen the early beta. And IMHO, the icons are much clearer now. See cropped screenshot below.

Terry

Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 8:21 PM
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.word.newusers
Subject: Is Office 2010 better than Office 2007

They might have replaced that "idiotic Office carbuncle" with something more sensible, but they forgot to put the more sensible thing in the sensible place, namely where that carbuncle was...

I can't find it back right now, but I have seen screenshots showing that the quality of the icons and text is actually becoming worse with each version of Office (starting from Office 2003). Apparently, everything depends on your screen settings.

I would update if you want to use equations in Powerpoint (as it now has the same possibilities as Word) or want to be able to manipulate images more easily from Word. The ribbon is hardly a reason to upgrade.

Yves
"Yves Dhondt" wrote in message ...

I would update if you want to use equations in Powerpoint (as it now has the same possibilities as Word) or want to be able to manipulate images more easiliy from Word. The ribbon is hardly a reason to upgrade.

Yves
"Terry Farrell" wrote in message ...
I agree with Tony.

--

--

#9   Report Post  

I'm still on 2003 and have one serious problem with 2007. I'm sure with time I can learn the ribbon. However, I'm a heavy macro guy and the inability to create a custom icon in 2007 is a deal killer. I simply can not have 25 macros with the same default icon and the available "standard" icons are not very helpful with respect to reminding me what the macro actually does. I was hoping that 2010 would fix this problem, but everything I have read so far is not giving me much hope. So, 2003 will be my word processor until Microsoft does something in the future that makes it completely obsolete. I can understand their arguments about the "evolution of the workforce" and changes in the way we do work, but those don't seem to be good enough reason to strip customization features from the software. I may be a power user, but I don't do code, other than macros. So, my ability to re-engineer something to make it work the way I want it to is simply impossible. Thanks for listening.

Word 2003 Forever!
  #10   Report Post  
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristain via OfficeKB.com View Post

--
I am using 2003 and Iwould not move from it. It is most simple.