Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Sharon M.

Default Mischievous Header/Footer when Section Break changes!

Please HELP!! I've tried all manner of devious tactics to fool Word but ...

I am developing a mulit-section template (I use Word XP) as follows:

Section 1: Front cover. Header is a background logo as a watermark. Header
and Footer = no selection

Section 2: (Copyright and Acknowledgements). Section Start = Odd page.
Header and Footer set to Same as Previous. (I want the background logo on
*all* pages in both sections.)

So far, so good.

Section 3: This section starts with the Table of Contents. From this point
on I *want* the headers to be different on odd/even pages. Section start =
Odd page. Header and Footer set to Different Odd and Even.

BUT - this is where the trouble starts - when I set the Different Odd and
Even in this section it changes the settings in Sections 1 and 2. I have
tried both This Section and This point forward. Same deal.

(BTW, Section 3 starts with a Table of Contents that has roman numeral page
numbering. I wouldn't normally have mentioned this here but I've just been
reading the thread started by Steve Bateman and there was something "quirky"
related to this for his problem.)

Does anyone have any idea how to get around this? I've tried just about
everything I can think of (including removing all the headers and starting
over).

Thanks a million in advance.

Sharon
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel

You're on the right track, but there's no need to 'fool' Word. It's designed
to do what you want. Set up your three sections as described. Go to section
3. For each header and footer: activate the header/footer, then clear the
'Same as previous' button on the Headers and Footers toolbar. Now you can
format the headers and footers for sections 1 and 2, and for section 3,
independently.

"Sharon M." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Sharon M.

Hi Jezebel,

That's exactly what I've done ... several times. BUT, each time section 3
changes the settings for sections 1 and 2. I've started from scratch (more
than once). There's no logic and I just don't understand why?????

Thanks, S.

"Sharon M." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Margaret Aldis

Sorry, there's no fooling Word on this one - different odd and even always
applies to the whole document. You will have to copy and paste the headers
and footers in Section 1 and 2 so the same stuff appears on both odd and
even.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

news

"Sharon M." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

As Margaret says, this is the "gotcha" here. Although you can enable
"Different first page" for individual sections, "Different odd and even"
always applies to the entire document.

"Margaret Aldis" wrote in
message ...

"Sharon M." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Sharon M.

Hi Suzanne, Hi Margaret,

Thanks! Not the answer I wanted but the one I needed!!

I played for *hours* trying to beat the logic of the backwards operation. I
still don't understand *why* something should apply to the whole document
when "This Section" or "This Point Forward" is selected. Does it also strike
you as illogical?

Anyhow, at least now I know it's not me, so thanks again (also to Jezebel
for responding quickly even though I had already tried everything s/he
suggested).

All the best,

Sharon