Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire

Default Can't Use Templates--Word 2002

I cannot access my templates in Word 2002 (through Microsoft Terminal
Server) the "usual" way. When I click on File, New, I see "New from
template" under "New Document" on the right side of the screen. But when I
click on "General Templates" absolutely nothing happens. No folder opens.
No error message. Nothing. (Although What's This tells me to click here to
use my templates) I checked File Locations to verify the location of the
templates and then I browsed to that location to confirm that, yes, my
templates are really there. The other buttons there (Templates on
Microsoft.com and Templates on my Web Sites) seem to work, although the
latter produces an error message (lack of memory, which is odd considering
that I don't have any websites, but that is not the point). The folder
location is set as c:\Documents & Settings\myname\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates, where "myname" represents, well, my name on the
system. I had recently changed the location of the template folder to this
spot; it had previously been located on the network server which produced a
minor technical glitch that I fixed by relocating the folder. (I can
provide those details if they are pertinent)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Your user templates should not be in this folder but rather in a separate
folder outside of it. For more on the different kinds of templates, tabs on
the file new dialog, and locations of templates folders see
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Joe McGuire" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire

Thanks! Darnedest thing. When I went to check this problem before starting
on your suggestion the templates now seem to work just fine. Perhaps it was
some bizarre transient problem. If it recurs I will try your suggestion.
Meanwhile, the excellent paper to which you referred me seems to say that
the locatioin I am using is the default location for Word templates.

(I had previously set a location on the network server as the location of
the Word templates so that there would be but one set of templates for my
secretary and me to use either through Terminal Server or at our respective
workstations. Since Word was also my e-mail editor, the result seems to be
that mulitple instances of Word were running if I composed any e-mail
through Terminal Server. I have to leave my desktop workstation running
(with Outlook) so that my e-mail gets pushed to my cell phone/PDA. On
closing Word in that scenario I was prompted for accept changes to the
global template. And I knew from bitter experience that agreeing to
anything you don't understand in Word or agreeing to changes you think you
did not make is a bad move. )

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

You don't want to share the user templates folder. You do want to share the
workgroup templates folder. Both can be on a network server but it often
works best to have at least the user templates folder local.
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire

I guess I'll have to try to figure out Work Group Templates. Awfully opaque
so far. Almost purposeful. Do I just pick a location on the network and
then stick some templates in it? How do I define who is in my Workgroup?
All users? Some users? I assume that I access them with the File, New
buttons. Is there anything I can check for guidance?