Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JQ Bennett

Default Word 2003 excel object tries to install Project 2000

We recently upgraded to Office 2003. I have a word document with an embedded
Excel chart. This is not a large chart: a simple 9 row by 6 columns chart
with calculations that can't be done in a word table.

Any attempt to edit the object (dbl-click, edit menu, right click) starts a
dialog that tries to install MS Project 2000. This fails, since we are on
2003 now, and it can't find the source. I can work around the install by
hitting cancel a couple of times, and then am allowed to edit the excel
object. After the first edit, subsequent edits usually work. Closing and
opening the word document starts the process over.

I have tried converting the object to an excel worksheet and to an excel
chart, with no change. I also tried starting from a blank document and
copying in the text and then copying in the excel ranges a couple of
different ways. Problem still occurs.