Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lcross lcross is offline

Default Equation Editor Closes after every equation. HELP!

I am Using the Office Home/Student 2007 Trial version.

I have a problem with equation editor closing when I am done entering the
equation and click on the document to continue with my work. I have to go to
, Insert, Object, Equation editor and reopen it every time I need to enter a
new equation. Is this normal? I have tried to put a shortcut on the quick
access toolbar but I do not see the equation editor in the dialog box. What
do I need to do to install it in the Quick Access toolbar and stop it from
closing after every equation?
--
lcross
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi lcross

You can put the Insert Equation button on the Quick Access toolbar as
follows. Click the round Office button, then Word Options. Click Customize,
and in the "Chosoe commands from" list, select "Insert Tab". Now, you can
choose "Equation" from the list, and click the Add button to add it to the
Quick Access Toolbar.

Even quicker is to use the shortcut: Alt-=. That is, hold down the Alt key
and press the 'equals' key.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"lcross" wrote in message
I am Using the Office Home/Student 2007 Trial version.

I have a problem with equation editor closing when I am done entering the
equation and click on the document to continue with my work. I have to go
, Insert, Object, Equation editor and reopen it every time I need to enter
new equation. Is this normal? I have tried to put a shortcut on the quick
access toolbar but I do not see the equation editor in the dialog box.
What
do I need to do to install it in the Quick Access toolbar and stop it from
closing after every equation?
--
lcross

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

On 4-Sep-2007, "Icross" wrote:

I have a problem with equation editor closing when I am done
entering the equation and click on the document to continue
with my work. I have to go to, Insert, Object, Equation editor
and reopen it every time I need to enter a new equation. Is
this normal?

I'm assuming you're using the "old" Equation Editor (aka
"Microsoft Equation 3.0", which I'll call Equation Editor) that
was in earlier versions of Word. I'm making that assumption since
you said you were using the Insert Object route of opening
Equation Editor. If my assumption is wrong, and you're using the
"new" equation writer (which I'll call the OMML editor) then
Shauna's earlier response is a good one. If my assumption is
correct, then to answer your question, yes. This is normal.

There's no "direct" way to put the Equation Editor (EE) icon onto
the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT). You can record a macro to open
EE, and put an icon onto the QAT that runs the macro and opens
EE. If you want to do that, let me know and I'll describe how.

There's also a way to open EE separately from Word (i.e., from
the Start menu) so that it stays open. To do that, click Start
Run, or use the shortcut key Windows+R (that's the key to the
left of the spacebar that looks like the Windows logo). Once the
Run dialog is open, click Browse and navigate to this location:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
Shared\EQUATION\EQNEDT32.EXE

(That's such a long location path that it probably wrapped onto
two lines, but I'm sure you can figure it out.) Click OK, and EE
will open. Create an equation, select it, then cut it from EE and
paste it into Word. EE will stay open. Next time you want to open
it, when you open the Run dialog, the path to EE will be in the
drop-down box; you won't have to use Browse to find it.

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide