whiz-bang

Default Header, full width with logo and address

he4Hello,
Word 2003, Windows XP Pro
I am trying to create a template for letters, documents, etc. I want a solid
blue bar going across the top with a logo on the far left and address on the
far right. When I try to do this in the header/footer, I can't modifiy the
position or the contents. If I make the page margins zero so the blue bar
goes across the page, it affects the content as well. When I try to cut and
paste or insert the logo into the header, I have problems. I have it looking
the way I want it by using a frame, but it doesn't repeat on next pages. This
is so easy to do in PPT but on Word I can't figure it out. I have seen other
companys with this type of letterhead. I looked through all the tutorials and
they don't really address this:

1. How do I edit header to go full width of page with background color?
2. How do I add an image to that header on the left hand side
3. How do I add adress info at the top right of page
4. How do I choose to have this repeated throughout the document, or how do
I have this on page one and a different one on second page
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Header, full width with logo and address

Hi there!

Creating a custom letterhead in Word can be a bit tricky, but I'm here to help you out. Here are the steps to achieve the design you're looking for:
  1. To edit the header to go full width of the page with a background color, you'll need to first open the header section of your document. To do this, double-click on the top margin of your document. This will open the header section.
  2. Once you're in the header section, you can insert your logo by going to Insert Picture From File. Select your logo file and click Insert. You can then resize and position the logo to the left-hand side of the header.
  3. To add your address info to the top right of the page, you can simply type it in the header section. You can format the text as needed, such as changing the font size or color.
  4. To have the header repeated throughout the document, go to the Page Layout tab and click on the "Page Setup" dialog box launcher. In the Page Setup dialog box, click on the Layout tab and check the box next to "Different first page". This will allow you to have a different header on the first page of your document, if needed. To have the same header on all pages, simply leave this box unchecked.
  5. To add a background color to the header, go to the Design tab and click on "Page Color". Select the color you want for your background and it will be applied to the entire header section.
  6. Finally, to make sure your header stays in place as you type, go to the "Position" section of the Design tab and select "Header from Top". This will keep your header in place at the top of the page, even as you add more content to your document.
__________________
CyberTaz

1- Unless you have a printer driver installed that allows for "edge-to-edge"
printing, you can't. Word must observe the minimum margins dictated by the
printer driver. (I'm not even sure that edge-to-edge is allowable for the
Header/Footer only, which would cause layout problems for the rest of the
document.) That type of page layout work really should employ a full bleed,
for which you need a DTP program such as InDesign, QuarkXpress, or even
Publisher.

2- Make sure you are in ViewHeader and Footer, then go to
InsertPictureFrom file. Apply Text WrapBehind Text from the Picture
Toolbar.

3- In the Header, press Tab twice (although the text you type will be Flush
Right aligned, which may not be what you want. If not , set the appropriate
type of Tab and go from there.

4- You need do nothing more to have the content of Headers & Footers appear
on every page, that happens automatically. For alternatives, use the Page
Setup button and the others on the Header and Footer toolbar.

Good Luck |:)

"whiz-bang" wrote:

[...]

You may want to look at my articles at
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm and
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/HeaderFooter.htm for more information
on these subjects, but here are a few tips:

1. A header is intended to repeat every page. Unless you have selected
"Different first page" on the Layout tab of Page Setup (so that you're
actually working in the First Page Header), everything that you put in the
header (which includes drawing objects anchored to the header paragraph)
will repeat on every page. Drawing objects with wrapping set to anything
other than In Line With Text can be placed anywhere on the page.

2. You don't need to change the page margins; you can use negative indents
to make the header area wider (set a negative amount for the left and
right indents in Format | Paragraph). Alternatively, you can use a table
extending beyond the margins, and of course wrapped drawing objects can be
placed anywhere. Keep in mind, however, that whatever you put within a
quarter inch or so of the edge of the page will probably not print, as
most printers cannot print clear to the edge. The letterhead you see that
has colored areas all the way to the edge (this is called "full bleed")
was probably professionally printed; commercial printers print on
oversized paper and then trim the edges.

"whiz-bang" wrote in message
[...]

Charles Kenyon

See previous answers. You generally can't print from edge to edge. This is a
limitation of printers rather than Word. You can put your logo and other
information into a text box or can change the paragraph indents (to negative
indents) in the first-page header.

Take a look at: How to set up letterhead or some other document where you
want one header on the first page and a different header on other pages.
http://www.addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm This gives step-by-step
instructions. (It also has the following links)

Some other pages to look at:

Letterhead Tips and Instructions
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm

Letterhead Textboxes and Styles tutorial
http://addbalance.com/word/download....StylesTutorial

Template Basics
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm

How to Create a Template - Part 2 - essential reading
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

Word "Forms"
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordw...rces.htm#Forms and

Word for Word Perfect Users
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordperfect.htm if you are coming from a WP
environment (or even if you are not).

If you are interested in creating templates that will work with the letter
wizard or use that wizard, you should look at the chapter on Advanced
Document Formatting in Using Office 2003 (or whatever your version is),
Special Edition, by Ed Bott and Woody Leonhard. It has detailed instructions
including instructions on getting the fields you want from your Outlook
Contacts for addressing a letter. (Chapter 19 of SE Using Office 2003) You
should be able to get this through your public library or at Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...ncecheckbookA/

Finally, take a look at the letter templates that come with Word. While they
are no great shakes as letterhead, they do use styles and AutoText lists
very well. If you use the same style names that are used in those templates
in your own letterhead for the same parts of the document, you will have
better luck with using the built-in AutoText entries in Word.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.