pmalcoms

Default Track changes between Word versions

Hi I'm having a problem with Reviewer marks and tracking changes.

The document is created and modified with Word 2000. It goes through a
review process with track changes. Once it is finished, I am using the
accept all changes. So when I open the document I don't see any
changes because they have been accepted.

I have sent the document to somebody that is using Word 2003. They
have the ability to change the view to Final Showing Markup. This
allows them to see all the tracked changes that I thought were
accepted.

I don't want this to happen so my question is: How in Word 2000 do I
accept all document revisions (comments, deletions, etc) and save the
Word 2000 document so that NO revision text is visible even in Word
2003.

I have tried the Remove hidden text utility from Microsoft but it
doesn't seem to be working either. Besides that I have hundreds of
documents that have been created NOT in Word 2003 (like in word 2000
and Word 97) so I really don't want to resort to using a utility to
batch process these documents.

Thanks...
Paul Malcomson

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Pmalcoms,

I recall seeing this reported, before. There was always some question
whether the person asking had actually accepted changes, or just turned
off the display. You seem to be pretty clear on what's what, though :-)

In this case, my best guess would be that there may be some damage in the
file's structures, so this information isn't being removed. If you
round-trip the document through RTF format does the situation improve?

The document is created and modified with Word 2000. It goes through a
review process with track changes. Once it is finished, I am using the
accept all changes. So when I open the document I don't see any
changes because they have been accepted.

I have sent the document to somebody that is using Word 2003. They
have the ability to change the view to Final Showing Markup. This
allows them to see all the tracked changes that I thought were
accepted.

I don't want this to happen so my question is: How in Word 2000 do I
accept all document revisions (comments, deletions, etc) and save the
Word 2000 document so that NO revision text is visible even in Word
2003.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org