Will Doward

Default Scientific thesis writing - help!!

I would be eternally grateful to anyone who could help me with some of the
following problems I have encountered as my Masters deadline is imminent and
I am spending far too much time trying to work out the following rather than
the content!! Thank you!

(i) I have written the Introduction, Materials and methods and results in
separate word files and want to merge them to one "master document" so that
the format is all the same (ie spacing, margins, header and footer etc). How
do I do that?

(ii)I have many pictures and graphs which change from portrait to landscape
and what to put in page numbers but am finding it very difficult putting the
right page numbers on pages that may be from differing word document

(iii) how do you change the orientation and position of a page number for a
landscape page set up so that it looks like a portrait page number?

(iv) some of my pictures approach the edge of the paper so that some of the
picture labelling is missing when I print? How do I change the page margins
for a single page so that this doesn't happen?

(v) i have tried to rearrange the page order in word using the thumbnail
view like you can in powerpoint but have had no luck. How do you say put
something that is currently page 5 to now be page 2 in the order you read it?

Many thanks
Dawn Crosier

See the following inline comments.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies and
questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn as well.

"Will Doward" Will wrote in
message
I would be eternally grateful to anyone who could help me with
some of the
following problems I have encountered as my Masters deadline is
imminent and
I am spending far too much time trying to work out the
following rather than
the content!! Thank you!

(i) I have written the Introduction, Materials and methods and
results in
separate word files and want to merge them to one "master
document" so that
the format is all the same (ie spacing, margins, header and
footer etc). How
do I do that?

In this instance, I hope you created your documents using Styles.
They really are the best way to ensure that the documents are
formatted the same. See:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...sOnStyles.html. If you
insist on merging the documents together using Master and
SubDocument features, then be sure to read the following articles
and PLEASE work on COPIES of your documents to avoid complete
loss of your documents.
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/Wh...ocsCorrupt.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/RecoverMasterDocs.htm

(ii)I have many pictures and graphs which change from portrait
to landscape
and what to put in page numbers but am finding it very
difficult putting the
right page numbers on pages that may be from differing word
document

See http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=224 and
pay special attention to REF fields.

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...apeSection.htm

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...sDontPrint.htm

(v) i have tried to rearrange the page order in word using the
thumbnail
view like you can in powerpoint but have had no luck. How do
you say put
something that is currently page 5 to now be page 2 in the
order you read it?

Personally, I would resort to brute force and copy and paste the
information from Page 5 to Page 2. Although the IncludeText
field may be of some use.

Many thanks

Daiya Mitchell

Skimmed the original question very fast--for rearranging the pages, Outline
View *might* help, assuming you are really reshuffling sections of your
thesis rather than pages.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingOLView.htm

Also, a lot of the links Dawn gave plus other ones useful for writing theses
are collated here, and spending some time with that page might be helpful:
http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm

On 8/12/05 1:34 PM, "Dawn Crosier" wrote:

See the following inline comments.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/