Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LMG

Default Pagination

If someone could explain the concept of pagination to me, that would be
awesome!

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 15:57:02 -0800, LMG
wrote:

If someone could explain the concept of pagination to me, that would be
awesome!

Thanks.

Years ago I worked at a publishing house where we did book pagination
by hand. We'd start with a pile of page-sized sheets and a pile of
"galley proofs" -- long strips with the text of the book printed
continuously on them. We'd cut out the galleys and photocopies of the
illustrations, and start pasting them onto the page sheets. As each
sheet filled up, we'd start the next one. Sometimes a little extra
space would have to be left at the bottom of a page to make everything
fit well, or an illustration would have to be moved from one page to
another.

Word does something like that with your text and graphics. It starts
at the beginning of the document and fills up the page until it
reaches either the bottom margin or something (such as a manual page
break) that forces it to start a new page.

Electronic pagination is a lot more flexible than the paper version.
If you go to page 2 of a 100-page document and add a paragraph, Word
will almost instantly rework the pagination of the whole document. You
can set a style that includes "Keep with next" or "Keep together", and
Word will take that into account. The list of things that can cause a
premature page break runs to about a dozen conditions. But at the most
fundamental level, it's still "put stuff on the page until it's full".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LMG

Okay, thanks, but what does it mean to and how do you paginate a Word document?

Or is it all automatic?

Thanks again.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Pagination is the mechanism whereby the text is flowed to fit the page(s).
Documents are automatically paginated in Word to the dictates of the printer
driver.