Peyton Todd

Default LISTNUMs disappear when I select Heading 2

Help! My title to this post describes the problem: I have a number of Listnum
fields (numbering sample sentences in a linguistics paper) which I built by
Customizing the Outline Number in the Bullets and Numbering dialog. When I
add a Heading 2 to the document, all the LISTNUMs below it become invisible.
They are still there, though: when you remove the Heading 2, they become
visible again. Oddly, the references to them, supplied via Insert --
Reference -- Cross-reference, remain visible.

Thanks for your help!
--
Peyton Todd
Klaus Linke

"Peyton Todd" wrote:
Help! My title to this post describes the problem: I have a number of
Listnum
fields (numbering sample sentences in a linguistics paper) which I built
by
Customizing the Outline Number in the Bullets and Numbering dialog. When I
add a Heading 2 to the document, all the LISTNUMs below it become
invisible.
They are still there, though: when you remove the Heading 2, they become
visible again. Oddly, the references to them, supplied via Insert --
Reference -- Cross-reference, remain visible.

Thanks for your help!
--
Peyton Todd

Hi Peyton,

ListNum fields can contain the name of some list template. If they don't,
they will use the last list template above that you used.
So when you insert your Heading 2, they'll take the list template attached
to that.

You can avoid that by naming the list template:
Go into a "level 1" paragraph using that list template, Format Bullets
and Numbering Customize..., expand the dialog, and type in some name in
the "ListNum field list name" box at the bottom left.

Then use that name in your ListNum fields.

Regards,
Klaus

Peyton Todd

Thanks, Klaus, but I'm already doing that. The problem appears to lie in how
Heading 2 is configured. Heading 1 doesn't cause this problem, nor does
Heading 3. Apparently, whatever template is attached to Heading 2 overrides
my ListNum specs, even though they already have names. So how do I make the
appropriate change to Heading 2?
--
Peyton Todd

"Klaus Linke" wrote:

"Peyton Todd" wrote:
[...]

Klaus Linke

"Peyton Todd" wrote:
Thanks, Klaus, but I'm already doing that.

So you use something like { ListNum YourListTemplate }, not just {
ListNum }?

The problem appears to lie in how Heading 2 is configured.
Heading 1 doesn't cause this problem, nor does Heading 3.
Apparently, whatever template is attached to Heading 2 overrides
my ListNum specs, even though they already have names. So how
do I make the appropriate change to Heading 2?

Yes, it could indicate that Heading 2 uses YourListTemplate, while the other
heading styles are linked to some other list template. But then, it's hard
to see why your heading numbering would work properly at all.

If you edit your Heading 1, Format Numbering, Customize..., expand the
dialog, then go into the 2nd and 3rd list level, are the list levels 2 and 3
linked to "Heading 2" and "Heading 3"?
It can't hurt if you enter a name for *that* list template, too... say
myHeadingsListTemplate.

Regards,
Klaus

Peyton Todd

First, re your first question:
So you use something like { ListNum YourListTemplate }, not just {
ListNum }?

.... the answer is Yes. My template is called utterance_number, and I created
it by customizing the lower right hand box within the Outline Numbering tab
of the Bullets and Numbering dialog. When I did so, my memory tells me that I
did it cold, without having anything (e.g. a particular heading) selected.
However, for whatever reason, what it shows right now in it Preview Pane is
the number 1 in the upper lefthand corner and the words 'Heading 2' a couple
of lines below that.

Although my utterance numbers may be 'technically' headings from Word's
point of view (I don't have a clue about that), it was never my express
intention that they be so. They're just raw numbers as far as I'm concerned.

In answer to your second question:
If you edit your Heading 1, Format Numbering, Customize..., expand the
dialog, then go into the 2nd and 3rd list level, are the list levels 2 and 3
linked to "Heading 2" and "Heading 3"?
It can't hurt if you enter a name for *that* list template, too... say
myHeadingsListTemplate.

.... maybe I don't know what you mean. I took you as meaning that I should
first select a Heading 1 in my document somewhere, then proceed to
FormatNumbering, etc. When I do so, it seems to make no difference. I gotta
select a tab, and I when choose Outline Numbered everything is as before. If
I expand that dialog and go to level 2, the words 'Heading 2' are highlighted
in the Preview Pane, and beside 'Link level to style:', I find the words
'Heading 2'. Should I change that to 'no style'? I do not understand how
these things work.

Thanks for your continued help.
--
Peyton Todd

"Klaus Linke" wrote:

"Peyton Todd" wrote:
[...]

Klaus Linke

... the answer is Yes. My template is called utterance_number, and I
created
it by customizing the lower right hand box within the Outline Numbering
tab
of the Bullets and Numbering dialog. When I did so, my memory tells me
that I
did it cold, without having anything (e.g. a particular heading) selected.
However, for whatever reason, what it shows right now in it Preview Pane
is
the number 1 in the upper lefthand corner and the words 'Heading 2' a
couple
of lines below that.

I think the preview should show you the correct numbering if you select the
first level 1 { ListNum } field first.
That's what I do anyway: You're sure to get the right list template in the
gallery that way, and editing lower levels causes problems.

There's a lot that can go wrong when you edit list templates. The numbering
gurus say that it should be done with a macro, but I usually get by without
;-)

If the dialog doesn't show the numbering you want, you could go into
"Customize" and check if it's really set up the way you want it.
If not, you may have to redo it.

Word will create copies of your list template, given half a chance. They'll
have names like "utterance_number2", with some number appended to your
original name.

... maybe I don't know what you mean. I took you as meaning that I
should first select a Heading 1 in my document somewhere, then
proceed to FormatNumbering, etc.

No, I meant to select a Heading 1, and then edit the "Heading 1" style
Format Numbering.

Shauna Kelly has a good article on how to set up heading numbering:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

Maybe that site will answer some of your other questions, too.

If you want, you can mail me the doc ).

Good luck,
Klaus