Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default Heading Level 1 restarts upon opening

I am hoping you can help me with a Word problem that is driving me crazy. I
am trying to get a document to start at a Heading Level 1 (the easy part),
but I do not want the numbering of Heading 1 to default to "1". I want the
document to start off at "2" (see below), but with Heading 1 style attached
to it.

For example, I want my document to look like this:

2 (Heading 1 Style)
2.1 (Heading 2 Style)
2.1.1 (Heading 3 Style)
2.1.1.1 (Heading 4 Style)
2.1.1.1.1 (Heading 5 Style)

Every time I change this and close the document, Word automatically reverts
my "Section 2" to say "Section 1".

1 (Heading 1 Style)
1.1 (Heading 2 Style)
1.1.1 (Heading 3 Style)
1.1.1.1 (Heading 4 Style)
1.1.1.1.1 (Heading 5 Style)

Any help is appreciated!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jamie Jamie is offline

Under the Tools Templates and Add-Ins menu I had to uncheck "Automatically
update document styles" and it worked.