Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Marius Marius is offline

Default Linked file on multiple pages

I link small Word files into a larger file, but when the linked file is more
than 1 page, the remainder of the linked page is not shown on the next page.
It's just hidden between 2 pages.

To counter that I use Master- and subdocuments, but now I started reading
these horror stories on master documents on MVP sites. These MVP's recommend
to use the linked files instead of master pages.

But how can I make it so that the linked file is displayed accross multiple
pages and everything after page 1 of the linked document isn't hidden?

Hope someone has any advice on this... Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

There are two sorts of LINK:
a. LINKs that link to OLE objects: if you open a Word document, Edit|Copy,
then open a blank Word document and Edit|Paste Sepcial and choose Paste Link
and Microsoft Word Document Object, you get one of those. The inserted
material is in fact a picture which has to be on one page
b. INCLUDETEXTs that include text from a file. If you use WOrd Insert|File,
select a .doc file, then clink the dropdown next tot he Insert button and
choose Insert As Link, then the insertion works like normal Word content.
That's (probably) what the MVP site is discussing. You still need to be
careful about mixing styles with the same names but different defintions
etc. - in other words, have a good look through the material on that site
and plan your document structure.

There's another field type called { RD } (Referenced document) which lets
you do /some/ large-document operations. You'll probably also find more
info. about that on the MVP site.

Peter Jamieson