Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Peter K[_2_] Peter K[_2_] is offline

Default LISTNUM

Hi, why could it be that sometimes when I make a "heading1" text and insert
a LISTNUM field in front of it I get a number like "2." and sometimes I get
"2.1"?

I thought "heading 1" meant that I would get a LISTNUM field with only
"depth 1" in the numbering hierarchy.

Thanks,
Peter
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Peter K[_2_] Peter K[_2_] is offline

Peter K wrote in
:

Hi, why could it be that sometimes when I make a "heading1" text and
insert a LISTNUM field in front of it I get a number like "2." and
sometimes I get "2.1"?

Well I found out that if I manually select "level 1" when I insert the
LISTNUM field then it works as I want. Still don't understand why it
sometimes (usually) knows what level I want, and why on occasion it doesn't
know...

/Peter
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I believe this depends on where in the paragraph the LISTNUM field is
inserted. Also, if more than one field is in the same paragraph, subsequent
occurrences display lower level numbers. As you've seen, the safer approach
is to explicitly specify a level.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter K" wrote:

Peter K wrote in
:

Hi, why could it be that sometimes when I make a "heading1" text and
insert a LISTNUM field in front of it I get a number like "2." and
sometimes I get "2.1"?

Well I found out that if I manually select "level 1" when I insert the
LISTNUM field then it works as I want. Still don't understand why it
sometimes (usually) knows what level I want, and why on occasion it doesn't
know...

/Peter

Start LISTNUM at 90 Kim Microsoft Word Help 5 July 12th 07 09:38 AM
Listnum and Template Grief Peyton Todd Page Layout 2 May 17th 07 10:45 PM
LISTNUM Darlene Microsoft Word Help 1 June 10th 06 09:37 PM
LISTNUM & Wildcards Fuzzhead Microsoft Word Help 14 May 16th 06 07:23 PM
listnum converting Fuzzhead Microsoft Word Help 8 May 2nd 06 06:11 PM