Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mcalex mcalex is offline

Default Cross-Ref to Excel Chart

When I insert a cross reference to the caption of a linked Excel chart, the
cross reference inserts the chart as well as 'Figure 6' or whatever. I can
delete the chart from the cross reference, but when I print the document it
comes back again.

I can't see anything in the field codes causing this, though there is a /*
MERGEFORMAT switch that I don't recognise

I have a bunch of these linked charts in the document, and not all of them
behave like this. It doesn't happen with spreadsheet data that I have linked
to the Word doc, only the charts.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mcalex mcalex is offline

oops, probably should've asked if anyone knows how or why this happens, or of
any workarounds to prevent it.

many thanks
mcalex

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word's cross-reference feature makes use of hidden bookmarks enclosing the
cross-referenced paragraphs (or parts of those paragraphs, depending on what
you are referencing).

The likely cause for the issues you are seeing is that you have added a new
paragraph by pressing Enter at the beginning of some of the bookmarked
paragraphs. This would cause the bookmark to expand, so that it includes the
new paragraph as well as anything added to it. In the future, remember to
always add a new paragraph by pressing Enter at the *end* of a bookmarked
paragraph.

You can cut and paste the charts back in, carefully making sure to insert
paragraphs properly first.

The task will be easier if you first show nonprinting marks; you can use
Ctrl+Shift+8 (acts as a toggle).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"mcalex" wrote in message
When I insert a cross reference to the caption of a linked Excel chart,
the
cross reference inserts the chart as well as 'Figure 6' or whatever. I
can
delete the chart from the cross reference, but when I print the document
it
comes back again.

I can't see anything in the field codes causing this, though there is a /*
MERGEFORMAT switch that I don't recognise

I have a bunch of these linked charts in the document, and not all of them
behave like this. It doesn't happen with spreadsheet data that I have
linked
to the Word doc, only the charts.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mcalex mcalex is offline

a-ha, so that paragraph that Word inserts between the chart and the caption
when I insert a caption serves a purpose. I didn't like the caption being
separated from the item (chart, table, whatever) and deleted it. Okies, I'll
add it back, and instead change the font for the inserted para to .5 or
something.

Many thanks Stefan

"mcalex" wrote in message
When I insert a cross reference to the caption of a linked Excel chart,
the
cross reference inserts the chart as well as 'Figure 6' or whatever. I
can
delete the chart from the cross reference, but when I print the document
it
comes back again.

I can't see anything in the field codes causing this, though there is a /*
MERGEFORMAT switch that I don't recognise

I have a bunch of these linked charts in the document, and not all of them
behave like this. It doesn't happen with spreadsheet data that I have
linked
to the Word doc, only the charts.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, that's not necessary, and that's not what Graham was saying at all. The
point is that the chart and the caption need to be in separate paragraphs,
and the paragraph you insert for the chart should not be inserted by
pressing Enter at the beginning of the caption. See
http://www.thedoctools.com/index.php...erence_trouble

http://word.mvps.org

"mcalex" wrote in message
When I insert a cross reference to the caption of a linked Excel chart,
the
cross reference inserts the chart as well as 'Figure 6' or whatever. I
can
delete the chart from the cross reference, but when I print the
document
it
comes back again.

I can't see anything in the field codes causing this, though there is a
/*
MERGEFORMAT switch that I don't recognise

I have a bunch of these linked charts in the document, and not all of
them
behave like this. It doesn't happen with spreadsheet data that I have
linked
to the Word doc, only the charts.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Graham" appreciates that you posted that useful link. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"mcalex" wrote in message
When I insert a cross reference to the caption of a linked Excel
chart,
the
cross reference inserts the chart as well as 'Figure 6' or whatever.
can
delete the chart from the cross reference, but when I print the
document
it
comes back again.

I can't see anything in the field codes causing this, though there is
a /*
MERGEFORMAT switch that I don't recognise

I have a bunch of these linked charts in the document, and not all of
them
behave like this. It doesn't happen with spreadsheet data that I have
linked
to the Word doc, only the charts.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Oops, sorry--don't know where that came from! Perhaps Graham posted in an
adjacent thread? Or just another of those increasingly frequent senior
moments?

http://word.mvps.org