Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] wolf_tracks@invalid.com is offline

Default End Notes and Math Formulas?

Office Word 2003 on Win XP.
I'd like to make a Bibliograph at the end of a doc. I used end notes, and
that seems to more or less do the trick, but the foot note numbers are in
lower case Roman numerals. Is there a way to make them Arabic/Indian numbers?

Is there a way to make math formulas?

Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
over a lifetime:
Nuclear power -- 2 pounds in a coke can
Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

-- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

It is still a mystery why MS thinks that people use lowercase roman numerals
for endnotes. You can change this in a given document by going to Insert |
Reference | Footnote, selecting the Endnotes radio button, and changing the
"Number format" with "Apply changes to" set to "Whole document." To make
this change for all new documents, perform the same actions in Normal.dot
(see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...lTemplate.htm).

If you want a bibliography (or numbered references) in alpha order, however,
see http://daiya.mvps.org/biblio.htm#AlphaEndnotes

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
Office Word 2003 on Win XP.
I'd like to make a Bibliograph at the end of a doc. I used end notes, and
that seems to more or less do the trick, but the foot note numbers are in
lower case Roman numerals. Is there a way to make them Arabic/Indian
numbers?

Is there a way to make math formulas?

Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
over a lifetime:
Nuclear power -- 2 pounds in a coke can
Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

-- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
It is still a mystery why MS thinks that people use lowercase roman
numerals for endnotes. You can change this in a given document by going
to Insert | Reference | Footnote, selecting the Endnotes radio button,
and changing the "Number format" with "Apply changes to" set to "Whole
document." To make this change for all new documents, perform the same
actions in Normal.dot (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...lTemplate.htm).

If you want a bibliography (or numbered references) in alpha order,
however, see http://daiya.mvps.org/biblio.htm#AlphaEndnotes

Good. Thanks. Is there an equation add-on for 2003 Office Word? I saw
something about Equations 3.0 somewhere.

Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
over a lifetime:
Nuclear power -- 2 pounds in a coke can
Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

-- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Equation Editor is part of all versions of Word but is not installed by
default (as part of the "Typical" install). If it is installed, you will see
Microsoft Equation 3.0 listed under Insert | Object | Create from File. If
not, install it as follows:

Go to Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs, select Microsoft Office, and
click the Change button. In the first page, select "Add or Remove Features."
On the next page, expand "Office Tools." Select Equation Editor and set it
to "Run from My Computer." Click the Update button, and insert the Office CD
when prompted.

Once it is installed, you may want to add a toolbar button to launch it
quickly; in Tools | Customize | Commands, look for Equation Editor in the
Insert category and drag it to the preferred toolbar.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Equation Editor is part of all versions of Word but is not installed by
default (as part of the "Typical" install). If it is installed, you will
see Microsoft Equation 3.0 listed under Insert | Object | Create from
File. If not, install it as follows:

Go to Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs, select Microsoft Office, and
click the Change button. In the first page, select "Add or Remove
Features."
On the next page, expand "Office Tools." Select Equation Editor and set it

The next choice shows check boxes for Word, Excel, Outlook, ... Access. It
says if I uncheck any, the will be removed. Pushing ahead with the Update
button produces "error 25090. Off setup has encounered a problem with the
Office Source Engine, ...Please open C:\Program Files,....chm and look for
the Office Source Engine on how to resolve this."

I wouldn't mind uninstalling Outlook and Publisher, if it would get by this
error. I never use them.
to "Run from My Computer." Click the Update button, and insert the
Office CD
when prompted.

Once it is installed, you may want to add a toolbar button to launch it
quickly; in Tools | Customize | Commands, look for Equation Editor in
the Insert category and drag it to the preferred toolbar.

Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
over a lifetime:
Nuclear power -- 2 pounds in a coke can
Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

-- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to this, but the Microsoft Knowledge Base
article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827467 describes the error. Were
you logged in as Administrator when you tried to do this?

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I'm afraid I don't know the answer to this, but the Microsoft Knowledge
Base article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827467 describes the
error. Were you logged in as Administrator when you tried to do this?

Thanks. I'll give it a try, I'm the Admin and only user.

Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
over a lifetime:
Nuclear power -- 2 pounds in a coke can
Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

-- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

wrote:
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I'm afraid I don't know the answer to this, but the Microsoft
Knowledge Base article at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827467
describes the error. Were you logged in as Administrator when you
tried to do this?

Thanks. I'll give it a try, I'm the Admin and only user.

Well, that's strange. I fired up setup and it went through some operations
and finally disappeared. I then continued as before with Add/Remove, etc.
When I got to the screen with the components listed and checked, I pressed
Next. It went through some gyrations and finally finished with a message the
update was successful. Now what? :-) I never saw a thing about Equation Editor.

Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
over a lifetime:
Nuclear power -- 2 pounds in a coke can
Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

-- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Let's go back to the original instructions:

Go to Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs, select Microsoft Office, and
click the Change button. In the first page, select "Add or Remove Features."
On the next page, expand "Office Tools." Select Equation Editor and set it
to "Run from My Computer." Click the Update button, and insert the Office CD
when prompted.

Did you do this?

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
wrote:
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Let's go back to the original instructions:

Go to Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs, select Microsoft Office, and
click the Change button. In the first page, select "Add or Remove
Features."
On the next page, expand "Office Tools." Select Equation Editor and set it
to "Run from My Computer." Click the Update button, and insert the
Office CD
when prompted.

Did you do this?

I pressed Update on Add/Remove Program forMS Office 2003. It shows a Wizard
dialog with three choices. I took Add/Remove Features. I now see Custom
Setup with six choices--Word, Excel, ..., etc. They are all checked, and I
leave them that way. I click the Update button. 10 seconds later it shows
the update is complete. I press OK, and am done. Maybe I need to reboot?

Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
over a lifetime:
Nuclear power -- 2 pounds in a coke can
Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

-- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

That's where you're making your mistake. Before you update, you have to make
some changes. You need to expand the Microsoft Office Tools item and make
sure that Equation Editor is set to "Run from My Computer" before you finish
the process.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
That's where you're making your mistake. Before you update, you have to
make some changes. You need to expand the Microsoft Office Tools item
and make sure that Equation Editor is set to "Run from My Computer"
before you finish the process.

Expand? Update? The only thing I see that seems to fit "before" is the check
box on the Custom Setup dialog (six components listed) that says Choose
advanced customization of applications. Is that whay you mean?

If I use it, then a tree of items is displayed. One being "Wizards and
Template". One is "Run from My Computer". Should I select that and press the
Update button shown there?

Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
over a lifetime:
Nuclear power -- 2 pounds in a coke can
Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

-- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Yes, you should choose the "advanced customization." Then note that each
component can be expanded. One of those components should be Office Tools.
Click the plus sign beside it to expand it. Click the arrow beside Equation
Editor and choose Run from My Computer. Do not change anything else. Then
click Update.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Yes, you should choose the "advanced customization." Then note that each
component can be expanded. One of those components should be Office
Tools. Click the plus sign beside it to expand it. Click the arrow
beside Equation Editor and choose Run from My Computer. Do not change
anything else. Then click Update.

I progressed through the "Run from My Computer", and was greeted with
"installation error: file not found. ZF612707.CAB missing" I have my CD
ready ... Nope. I pulled it out last night. Ah, it finished. I do not see MS
Equation and variations in the Object item for Insert (menu). Maybe I need
to close Word, or reboot? I had a Word doc open while I was doing all this.
Ah,ha. After restarting Word, it's there. Thanks.

Going back to End Notes, I wanted to reference the same end note from two
places in the text. Word wants to create a new number. How do I direct the
end note to one I've already established?