Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris Mc Chris Mc is offline

Default Tablet PC Word 2003 Signature and Word Document protection

I have created an assortment of forms for my company. Within the last couple
years we are pushing to go paperless and in doing so the staff and nurses
were all issued tablet pc's. I am attempting to add a signature line in the
templates that we have so staff can sign for equipment using the tablets
stylus. This line does not need any encryption it simply needs to be able to
be signed, and the document saved to a network location. The problem is I
cannot protect the form without the signature box getting locked as well. The
forms need to be locked since they are accessible to the entire company and
we need to keep them secure and the wording un-tammpered with.

I have a copy of Office 2007 on my school computer but even in 2007 I come
across the same issue. I have been researching this online and am yet to find
a viable solution that wont cost the company money.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
--
Chris Mc.
Document Producer
philswift philswift is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mc View Post
[...]

Hi Chris

Did you get a solution? This is exactly what I wish to do and my concern was locking the form down but letting the signature through.

Many thanks

Phil
Big_Al Big_Al is offline
Junior Member

Location: Bristol UK

In the protect document task pane, there's a section for editing restrictions. Just underneath this you cant select specific sections of the doucment to protect or allow editing ("Select Section...").

You need to split the document into 2(or more) sections, using a continuous section break just before the signature box. Once done, apply the specific section protection to allow editing in section 2. Once done, when you protect the document, section 1 will be locked, while 2 will be editable.

Hope this helps,

Al

Last edited by Big_Al : December 14th 10 at 10:17 AM Reason: Clarificaiton.