Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michelle Michelle is offline

Default change caption formatting

I am merging several smaller docs into one large doc.

The small docs will become chapters in the new doc.

The small docs use figures with the following formatting: Figure 1, Figure
2, Figure 3, etc.

I want to automatically change the figure formats to the following numbering
Fig 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc., based on the chapter numbers.

When I try to do this I get the following result: Figure 1 in chapter 2
becomes Fig 0.1, fig 2 becomes Fig 0.2, Fig 3 becomes Fig 0.3, even though
the chapters are numbered automatically and correctly with the Styles
function.

I want Fig 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc.

Help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JRR JRR is offline

Hi Michelle,

To the best of my knowledge, MsWord doesn't support what you want to do.

Adobe FrameMaker does this, but sadly Word does not.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Did you use Word's built-in heading styles (heading 1 for chapter 1, etc.)?
Are your headings in text boxes?

Michelle wrote:
I am merging several smaller docs into one large doc.

The small docs will become chapters in the new doc.

The small docs use figures with the following formatting: Figure 1, Figure
2, Figure 3, etc.

I want to automatically change the figure formats to the following numbering
Fig 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc., based on the chapter numbers.

When I try to do this I get the following result: Figure 1 in chapter 2
becomes Fig 0.1, fig 2 becomes Fig 0.2, Fig 3 becomes Fig 0.3, even though
the chapters are numbered automatically and correctly with the Styles
function.

I want Fig 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc.

Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michelle Michelle is offline

My heading styles are based on word's built in versions, by modified for
font, size, spacing etc.

My headings are not in text boxes.

Michelle wrote:
I am merging several smaller docs into one large doc.

The small docs will become chapters in the new doc.

The small docs use figures with the following formatting: Figure 1, Figure
2, Figure 3, etc.

I want to automatically change the figure formats to the following numbering
Fig 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc., based on the chapter numbers.

When I try to do this I get the following result: Figure 1 in chapter 2
becomes Fig 0.1, fig 2 becomes Fig 0.2, Fig 3 becomes Fig 0.3, even though
the chapters are numbered automatically and correctly with the Styles
function.

I want Fig 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc.

Help!

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word does support this. Look in the Caption dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"jrr" wrote in message
Hi Michelle,

To the best of my knowledge, MsWord doesn't support what you want to do.

Adobe FrameMaker does this, but sadly Word does not.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Captions that include the numbering from Heading 1 make use of STYLEREF
fields which extract the numbering of the preceding Heading 1 paragraph in
the text. Make sure that you haven't added a blank paragraph styled as a
heading with its numbering suppressed; with such a paragraph present, the
STYLEREF field would display a zero.

Generally, avoid blank paragraphs and use Spacing Before/After instead. If
you insist on blank paragraphs, make sure to apply Normal style to them. To
quickly apply Normal style to a paragraph, place the insertion point in that
paragraph and press Ctrl+Shift+N.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Michelle wrote:
I am merging several smaller docs into one large doc.

The small docs will become chapters in the new doc.

The small docs use figures with the following formatting: Figure 1,
Figure
2, Figure 3, etc.

I want to automatically change the figure formats to the following
numbering
Fig 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc., based on the chapter numbers.

When I try to do this I get the following result: Figure 1 in chapter 2
becomes Fig 0.1, fig 2 becomes Fig 0.2, Fig 3 becomes Fig 0.3, even
though
the chapters are numbered automatically and correctly with the Styles
function.

I want Fig 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc.

Help!

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You are welcome!

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Michelle" wrote in message
Thanks so much!!!

Michelle wrote:
I am merging several smaller docs into one large doc.

The small docs will become chapters in the new doc.

The small docs use figures with the following formatting: Figure 1,
Figure
2, Figure 3, etc.

I want to automatically change the figure formats to the following
numbering
Fig 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc., based on the chapter numbers.

When I try to do this I get the following result: Figure 1 in chapter
2
becomes Fig 0.1, fig 2 becomes Fig 0.2, Fig 3 becomes Fig 0.3, even
though
the chapters are numbered automatically and correctly with the Styles
function.

I want Fig 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc.

Help!

.