Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default odd non-breaking hyphen behavior

Linguistics often talks about word endings, and those are written as -
ing, -er, -ed. If you use an ordinary hyphen, Word is quite happy to
leave the hyphen at the end of a line and the following letters at the
start of a new line. If you use a nonbreaking hyphen (Ctrl-Shift-
hyphen), then it properly carries the hyphen to the next line -- but
it _also_ carries the previous word with it, as if there were no
intervening space. (I don't think it used to do that.) I tried typing
two or more spaces but that didn't make the previous word go back to
the earlier line.

Also: If you have the option checked that turns two hyphens into an em-
dash (and hyphen with space on each side to an en-dash), then it also
turns a leading hyphen or non-breaking hyphen (as above) into an en-
dash. (I used to wonder why the mss. I got for editing so often had en-
dashes in front of the endings being discussed, and none of the
authors had done it on purpose.)

And, optional-hyphen (Ctrl-hyphen) will not prevent Word from breaking
a word in the wrong place! (I don't remember the couple of examples I
had recently -- I almost never have this problem because I almost
never have automatic hyphenation turned on.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I agree that none of these behaviors is desirable. I sometimes use the
"minus" operator (U2212) as a non-breaking en dash, and perhaps there is
some other character that could be substituted for the hyphen that would
serve the same purpose. There's a hyphen at 2010 in Arial Unicode MS that
might be better behaved; if so, you could assign a keyboard shortcut to it.
The drawback, of course, is that it would be Arial, which is unlikely to be
your base font, and it might require at least partial font embedding.

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Possibly you have a later version of TNR, but my copy doesn't contain that
glyph. It jumps from 200F to 2013. In fact, if I type 2010 and press Alt+X,
the hyphen is inserted in MS Mincho (gag!).

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
Why would an Arial U2010 behave differently from a TNR U2010?

On Dec 15, 11:40 am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
I agree that none of these behaviors is desirable. I sometimes use the
"minus" operator (U2212) as a non-breaking en dash, and perhaps there is
some other character that could be substituted for the hyphen that would
serve the same purpose. There's a hyphen at 2010 in Arial Unicode MS that
might be better behaved; if so, you could assign a keyboard shortcut to
it.
The drawback, of course, is that it would be Arial, which is unlikely to
be
your base font, and it might require at least partial font embedding.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi Peter,

"Peter T. Daniels" schrieb

Linguistics often talks about word endings, and those are written
as -
ing, -er, -ed. If you use an ordinary hyphen, Word is quite happy to
leave the hyphen at the end of a line and the following letters at
the
start of a new line. If you use a nonbreaking hyphen (Ctrl-Shift-
hyphen), then it properly carries the hyphen to the next line -- but
it _also_ carries the previous word with it, as if there were no
intervening space. (I don't think it used to do that.)

that's a new behaviour in Word 2010. The non-breaking hyphen worked
fine in former versions. I sent a bug report to MS some months ago
(July). So we have to wait...

--
Greetings from snowy Germany
Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Dec 16, 10:51*am, "Lisa Wilke-Thissen"
wrote:
Hi Peter,

"Peter T. Daniels" schrieb

Linguistics often talks about word endings, and those are written
as -
ing, -er, -ed. If you use an ordinary hyphen, Word is quite happy to
leave the hyphen at the end of a line and the following letters at
the
start of a new line. If you use a nonbreaking hyphen (Ctrl-Shift-
hyphen), then it properly carries the hyphen to the next line -- but
it _also_ carries the previous word with it, as if there were no
intervening space. (I don't think it used to do that.)

that's a new behaviour in Word 2010. The non-breaking hyphen worked
fine in former versions. I sent a bug report to MS some months ago
(July). So we have to wait...

Sorry, I have Word2007 in Windows 7. What's your OS?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi Peter,

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote

If you use a nonbreaking hyphen (Ctrl-Shift-hyphen),
then it properly carries the hyphen to the next line --
but it _also_ carries the previous word with it, as if there
were no intervening space. (I don't think it used to do that.)

that's a new behaviour in Word 2010. The non-breaking hyphen
worked fine in former versions. I sent a bug report to MS some
months ago (July). So we have to wait...

Sorry, I have Word2007 in Windows 7. What's your OS?

using Word 2007 and Windows Vista the non-breaking hyphen works as
expected. The problem occurs in Word 2010 and Windows 7.
But regarding your experience it seems to be a problem in Windows 7
(?). At the moment I have no chance to test Word 2007/Win 7 or Word
2010/Win Vista.

--
Greetings
Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Dec 16, 1:02*pm, "Lisa Wilke-Thissen" wrote:
Hi Peter,

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote

If you use a nonbreaking hyphen (Ctrl-Shift-hyphen),
then it properly carries the hyphen to the next line --
but it _also_ carries the previous word with it, as if there
were no intervening space. (I don't think it used to do that.)

that's a new behaviour in Word 2010. The non-breaking hyphen
worked fine in former versions. I sent a bug report to MS some
months ago (July). So we have to wait...

Sorry, I have Word2007 in Windows 7. What's your OS?

using Word 2007 and Windows Vista the non-breaking hyphen works as
expected. The problem occurs in Word 2010 and Windows 7.
But regarding your experience it seems to be a problem in Windows 7
(?). At the moment I have no chance to test Word 2007/Win 7 or Word
2010/Win Vista.

--
Greetings
Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Hmm. If I open on the Vista desktop the document created on the
laptop, I might see a change?

I pdf'd it and printed it, so searching the Nonbreaking character
would tell me where to look ...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Dec 16, 1:52*pm, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
[...]

I opened the document on the Vista computer and there were no
nonbreaking hyphens at the beginnings of lines.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi Peter,

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote

Sorry, I have Word2007 in Windows 7. What's your OS?

Word 2010: I see the odd behaviour with Windows 7, Windows Vista,
Windows XP.
Word 2007: I don't see that behaviour in any of those Windows versions.
In each version of Windows the non-breaking hyphen works fine.

Word 2010: When opening a Word 2007 document (compatibility mode) in
Word 2010, non-breaking hyphen also works fine.

Sorry, but I cannot reproduce the odd behaviour using Word 2007 :-(.

--
Greetings
Lisa [MS MVP Word]