Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Mike is offline

Default Table of Figures

Hello,

I am using Word 2003. I'm working with a file with 80+ figures. There is
an inserted Table Of Figures at the beginning of the document. When the
document is changed it requires you to do a right mouse click on the table
then do Update Field, which updates the captions, hyperlinks, text, etc. I
find that a few of the lines actually insert the image as well as the text
etc.

Consequently, I have some pictures appear in the table. I have seen this
problem previously and a coworker who is well experinced with Word managed to
fix it. He is not available now. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Turn on Show Non-Printing Characters (Ctrl-Shift-8). Go to one of the
pictures that shows up in the table -- does it have a backward-L
shaped arrow instead of a paragraph mark at the end of the caption?
Change that to a regular paragraph mark (select it and type Enter), so
that the picture is in a different paragraph, make sure it has a
different Style name, and generate your ToF again.

On Apr 20, 12:14*pm, Mike wrote:
Hello,

I am using Word 2003. *I'm working with a file with 80+ figures. *There is
an inserted Table Of Figures at the beginning of the document. *When the
document is changed it requires you to do a right mouse click on the table
then do Update Field, which updates the captions, hyperlinks, text, etc. *I
find that a few of the lines actually insert the image as well as the text
etc.

Consequently, I have some pictures appear in the table. *I have seen this
problem previously and a coworker who is well experinced with Word managed to
fix it. *He is not available now. *Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Mike is offline

Ah. At first I was a bit confused about your answer. I was looking at the
unwanted image on the Table of Figures. It is actually the soft carrage
returns at the image itselfs that causes this problem. I did as you
suggested and it worked. Many Thanks