Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
basspt basspt is offline

Default How do I add a macon or other diacritical mark to a vowel?

I'd like to superimpose diacritical marks on vowels other than the ones
available in the international character set. I would like, for example to
place a macron over an "o." A macron is available in the "characters" set,
but it replaces the "o" when I try to insert it. How do I work around this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Here's one of the best resources around:

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"basspt" wrote in message
I'd like to superimpose diacritical marks on vowels other than the ones
available in the international character set. I would like, for example
place a macron over an "o." A macron is available in the "characters"
set,
but it replaces the "o" when I try to insert it. How do I work around
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill Pearson Bill Pearson is offline

Hold down the CTRL key as you type the mark you want to add to the vowel.
Nothing will appear on the screen, then, just type the vowel. It will appear
with the mark above it.
If the mark needs the Shift key, press that too. So, if you want a tilde
over the letter n, hold down Ctrl,Shift and press the ~ key; then let go of
everything else and type the n.

"basspt" wrote:

I'd like to superimpose diacritical marks on vowels other than the ones
available in the international character set. I would like, for example to
place a macron over an "o." A macron is available in the "characters" set,
but it replaces the "o" when I try to insert it. How do I work around this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For that one, actually
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...Characters.htm might be better, as
it points out that o-macron (and all the other vowels with macrons and
breves) are part of the standard character set.

http://word.mvps.org

"basspt" wrote in message
I'd like to superimpose diacritical marks on vowels other than the ones
available in the international character set. I would like, for example
place a macron over an "o." A macron is available in the "characters"
set,
but it replaces the "o" when I try to insert it. How do I work around
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That one doesn't work for macrons -- it only works for the standard
accents in French, German, and the Scandinavian languages (also
Spanish & Italian, which use some of the same ones).

If it's a one-time thing, go to Insert Symbol and scroll down to the
Latin Extended-A set, where you'll find lots of accented letters.
Scroll down to the Combining Diacritics section and you'll find a huge
set of accents that go over tbe preceding letter. (You can assign
keyboard shortcuts to any character in Insert Symbol that you're going
to use frequently.)

"basspt" wrote:
I'd like to superimpose diacritical marks on vowels other than the ones
available in the international character set. *I would like, for example to
place a macron over an "o." *A macron is available in the "characters" set,
but it replaces the "o" when I try to insert it. *How do I work around this?- Hide quoted text -