Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
gordo gordo is offline

Default Styles

Perhaps I just cannot see an individual tree in the forest.

In Word 2003, when I had the Styles and Formatting task pane open, I could
select some text and the style name would appear at the top of the pane with
the rest of the styles in a list below. In Word 2007, (with Vista) that
small window with the current style name no longer exists, just the list of
styles. When I select some text, I may not be able to see what style applies
because it is beyond the current view of available styles. I have to scroll
to find the style with the box around the name indicating the style.

Is there a way to see the style name immediately upon selecting text? As
usual, the Help file is of no value.

Thanks,

Gordo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

At the bottom of the Styes Task Pane click the Style Inspector (middle)
button. The new version of what you're looking for comes up as a separate
pane which also has a Reveal Formatting button.

Also, if you point to the blue-boxed Style name a large info box will
display the Style's attributes.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"gordo" wrote in message
Perhaps I just cannot see an individual tree in the forest.

In Word 2003, when I had the Styles and Formatting task pane open, I could
select some text and the style name would appear at the top of the pane
with the rest of the styles in a list below. In Word 2007, (with Vista)
that small window with the current style name no longer exists, just the
list of styles. When I select some text, I may not be able to see what
style applies because it is beyond the current view of available styles. I
have to scroll to find the style with the box around the name indicating
the style.

Is there a way to see the style name immediately upon selecting text? As
usual, the Help file is of no value.

Thanks,

Gordo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
WhiteRat WhiteRat is offline

You can also add the Style task pane to the QAT from the Button Word
Options Customize menu. It is under Popular Commands. I put mine in the
top left corner, next to my font, and font size drop downs. I added these
just by right clicking on them from the Home ribbon tab. Then you can see
all 3 parameters regardless of which Tab of the ribbon you're showing.

"gordo" wrote in message
Perhaps I just cannot see an individual tree in the forest.

In Word 2003, when I had the Styles and Formatting task pane open, I
could select some text and the style name would appear at the top of the
pane with the rest of the styles in a list below. In Word 2007, (with
Vista) that small window with the current style name no longer exists,
just the list of styles. When I select some text, I may not be able to
see what style applies because it is beyond the current view of available
styles. I have to scroll to find the style with the box around the name
indicating the style.

Is there a way to see the style name immediately upon selecting text? As
usual, the Help file is of no value.

Thanks,

Gordo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

That's what I've done as well. A lot of users do end up more or less
duplicating their Standard and Formatting toolbars on the QAT.

http://word.mvps.org

"gordo" wrote in message
Perhaps I just cannot see an individual tree in the forest.

In Word 2003, when I had the Styles and Formatting task pane open, I
could select some text and the style name would appear at the top of the
pane with the rest of the styles in a list below. In Word 2007, (with
Vista) that small window with the current style name no longer exists,
just the list of styles. When I select some text, I may not be able to
see what style applies because it is beyond the current view of
available styles. I have to scroll to find the style with the box around
the name indicating the style.

Is there a way to see the style name immediately upon selecting text? As
usual, the Help file is of no value.

Thanks,

Gordo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
gordo gordo is offline

Hey, thanks to all who replied. I will try all your suggestions.

Gordo

PS. I have never been disappointed by replies to my queries over several
years. Great group.