Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jeffrey Kaplan Jeffrey Kaplan is offline

Default One document, two computers: Different layouts

I'm using Word '07, from Office Standard '07. The document in question
was originally written in an older version of Word and I have
intentionally never updated the file format in order to ensure that
others will be able to read it.

I am using it on two computers, a Vista Home Premium x64 desktop and a
Vista Ultimate x86 laptop.

When I open this doc on the desktop, it looks as it should. When I
open it on the laptop, some of the formatting is different. I also
notice that the text in the titlebar on the laptop adds "non-commercial
use".

On the theory that a picture is worth a thousand words, this is what
the problem looks like: http://www.gordol.org/images/formatting.jpg

On the desktop, the word is all on one line. According to the
ribbon/menu, the font is the same as on the desktop, and the font does
appear to be installed on both computers.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"It eh, isn't actually breen." (G'Kar, B5 "Walkabout")
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Jeffrey,

The way Word lays out a document is heavily dependent on the capabilities of the attached printer and its driver & driver setup. If
the printer associated with the desktop & laptop PCs differ, that could explain the difference. Even if it's the same printer, using
a different OS on the two PCs will likely mean they're using different drivers for the same printer. And even if the OS's are the
same, the drivers or their settings might differ.

Another possibility is that there's a mis-match between the paper size for which the document is formatted and the paper size for
which the printer is set up. In that case, if one PC's Word installation is set up to allow Letter/A4 resizing and the other isn't,
that too could account for the difference.

If you need to be sure that the layout will remain the same on any PC, and the document is not intended to be edited by the
recipient, the safest approach is to distribute it in PDF format, which Word 2007 can produce.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Jeffrey Kaplan" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Previously on microsoft.public.word.pagelayout, macropod said:

The way Word lays out a document is heavily dependent on the capabilities of the attached printer and its driver & driver setup. If
the printer associated with the desktop & laptop PCs differ, that could explain the difference. Even if it's the same printer, using
a different OS on the two PCs will likely mean they're using different drivers for the same printer. And even if the OS's are the
same, the drivers or their settings might differ.

It is two different versions of Vista, using the same printer. The
printer is physically attached to the desktop, and configured as a
network printer on the laptop.

Another possibility is that there's a mis-match between the paper size for which the document is formatted and the paper size for
which the printer is set up. In that case, if one PC's Word installation is set up to allow Letter/A4 resizing and the other isn't,
that too could account for the difference.

I doubt that's the case, but I'll double-check.

If you need to be sure that the layout will remain the same on any PC, and the document is not intended to be edited by the
recipient, the safest approach is to distribute it in PDF format, which Word 2007 can produce.

It is. The laptop is in my living room, and I was planning on
continuing work on the doc from the recliner.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
Double ROT13 encoded for your protection

"A darkness in the heart cannot be cured by moving the body."
(Lennier, B5 "Dust to Dust")