BrendonJohnson BrendonJohnson is offline
Junior Member

Default ASK function - how to avoid changing default after merging

I am using the ASK function for a mail merge, which includes default text in the REF fields in the template.

After I perform a mail merge, the text at each REF field changes to the answers I indicated in the ASK prompts when merging IN MY TEMPLATE. The ASK fields still indicate my original default text, but the REF fields now show the text used in my merged forms. This is a problem because I want to maintain the original default REF text for future use of this template.

Example:
In template:
{ ASK Country "Country" \d "COUNTRY" \o }
{ REF Country } = COUNTRY

When performing merge:
Answer ASK prompt with "Britain"

Back in template:
{ ASK Country "Country" \d "COUNTRY" \o }
{ REF Country } = Britain