Los

Default 2003 Small Business - Mail Merge from Excel Sheet Duplication Oddi

I have a workbook in excel named "Calculate" that has a worksheet named
"Label-List"

Label list looks like this:

(Column A)
=calculate!$J$2
=calculate!$J$2
=calculate!$J$2
=calculate!$J$2
=calculate!$J$3
=calculate!$J$3
=calculate!$J$3
=calculate!$J$3
=calculate!$J$81
=calculate!$J$81
=calculate!$J$81
=calculate!$J$81

That gives me 320 entires

I use Word 2003 to Mail Merge via the sidepane wizard.

I am using Avery 5267 Return Address page setup.

My setup looks as such:

| Label-List | Next RecordLabel-List | Next
RecordLabel-List | etc...

I then save that setup as MergedLabels.doc so that I can have others use it
as well (all files are on a Publicly Shared Folder on the File Server).

When anybody opens the document, it will pop up as mention that a SQL
command will need to run, just like it's supposed to do, and everything SEEMS
okay.

Here is the oddity:

When we "Merge to New Document" by either the wizard or the Mail Merge
Toolbar on Word 2003 and 2002, we get this as the result:

| 1122 | 1122 | 1122 | 1122 |
| 1122 | 1123 | 1123 | 1123 |
| 1123 | 1124 | 1124 | 1124 |

etc.

As you can see, it has taken the first value and put it in FIVE times. The
Data source only has 4 entries.

And here's the Twist:

If I have the Mail merge Toolbar up when I first open MergedLabels.doc, I
can do this:

If I hit the "View Merged Data" button (the one that looks like abc) on
the toolbar, it will preview the merged data, and I will have the 5 entries.

I then click the "View Merged Data" button again to return to the "design"
view.

I then IMMEDIATELY RECLICK the "View Merged Data" button to re-preview the
merged labels, and everything is PERFECT. Meaning, I get this:

| 1122 | 1122 | 1122 | 1122 |
| 1123 | 1123 | 1123 | 1123 |
| 1124 | 1124 | 1124 | 1124 |

I did nothing to change anything! All I did was Preview the Merged labels,
un-previewed, then re-previewed!!!

Arooo?

- Los

Graham Mayor

Previewing has the effect of updating the fields, so updating the fields in
the merge document should effect the same result, however there are easier
ways to produce numbered labels - see
http://www.gmayor.com/Numbered_labels.htm - if that is what you are trying
to do, and removing the {next} fields from labels 2, 3 & 4 would obviate the
need to duplicate records to produce four labels with the same data.

You may also find http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm
useful?